Better looking rotor bolts on a budget .

Does pro bolt have an application guide? Dme does, just would be helpful. Since I just put this on....
7563863F-5DAD-4B2F-8FCE-629FD612E786.jpeg

So the internet proved to be less than useful on this matter. I got some Titanium Brake Rotor bolts for a Christmas present. Normally I would just use anti-seize, but brake rotors are a big deal ( to me anyways!) when it comes to fastener retention, and they don't lend themselves well to safety wire. So I started looking into Titanium safe threadlockers. Mcmcaster-Carr has a filter that lets you sort by Thread lockers that are supposed to be safe for Ti. Of those listed, only the Loctite 2432 lists Titanium specifically on its Data Sheet, but man is it spendy, since its intended for nuclear applications! The others listed are more readily available, but if I look at the data sheets for the Loctite 242, or 243 for instance they do not specifically state Titanium on the data sheet. I have had great success with the Vibra Tite 125 Gel Threadlocker on Aluminum, Stainless and steel fasteners so I reached out to them to see what they recommend. I have read lots of opinions on the net, but not really much in the way of facts or data as is usually the case.

So what are you all using for this?

So the internet proved to be less than useful on this matter. I got some Titanium Brake Rotor bolts for a Christmas present. Normally I would just use anti-seize, but brake rotors are a big deal ( to me anyways!) when it comes to fastener retention, and they don't lend themselves well to safety wire. So I started looking into Titanium safe threadlockers. Mcmcaster-Carr has a filter that lets you sort by Thread lockers that are supposed to be safe for Ti. Of those listed, only the Loctite 2432 lists Titanium specifically on its Data Sheet, but man is it spendy, since its intended for nuclear applications! The others listed are more readily available, but if I look at the data sheets for the Loctite 242, or 243 for instance they do not specifically state Titanium on the data sheet. I have had great success with the Vibra Tite 125 Gel Threadlocker on Aluminum, Stainless and steel fasteners so I reached out to them to see what they recommend. I have read lots of opinions on the net, but not really much in the way of facts or data as is usually the case.

So what are you all using for this?
So wanted to talk via phone as I thought all this was in a PM from my phone today . I started using the 242 on ti bolts on OEM wheels . Then when I got the Apex 6 wheels decided to try no loctite and torque to spec for OEM wheels . rode a few hundred miles and checked all bolts . No change . Checked a few more times at tire swaps over 20,000 miles and no change . I think OEM just puts the loctie on to cover their butt . I guess in some theory under hard braking the bolts could work lose over time on the left side rotor , but the right side rotor and rear rotor would not .

So wanted to talk via phone as I thought all this was in a PM from my phone today . I started using the 242 on ti bolts on OEM wheels . Then when I got the Apex 6 wheels decided to try no loctite and torque to spec for OEM wheels . rode a few hundred miles and checked all bolts . No change . Checked a few more times at tire swaps over 20,000 miles and no change . I think OEM just puts the loctie on to cover their butt . I guess in some theory under hard braking the bolts could work lose over time on the left side rotor , but the right side rotor and rear rotor would not .
Mcmaster actually lists the 242 for titanium and it's readily available. That 2432 though wow it's like 20x the price. I did get a reply today from Vibra Tite and they confirmed their 125 gel is good for ti as well. I use that stuff already, so that's likely what I'll do. Thanks for the reply!.

Back