Cowl bracket question

bigboy

Registered
What metal is this made of. If not aluminum is there a aluminum replacement?

20240422_190948.jpg

What metal is this made of. If not aluminum is there a aluminum replacement?

View attachment 1682239

That's a stamped steel part.
You could fabricate one from aluminum, with basically hand tools, a drill, jigsaw, dimple-die set, hammer, and a vice.
Or
Maybe @Falkonworks
has something lightweight to replace it with?

That part could also be 3D printed, in plastic or metal.
I would think either would be lighter, and plenty strong enough, as the stamped steel factory part is there to be cheap and sturdy, and so the average retard can't break it and complain, vs the guy who will take care of it.

That's a stamped steel part.
You could fabricate one from aluminum, with basically hand tools, a drill, jigsaw, dimple-die set, hammer, and a vice.
Or
Maybe @Falkonworks
has something lightweight to replace it with?

That part could also be 3D printed, in plastic or metal.
I would think either would be lighter, and plenty strong enough, as the stamped steel factory part is there to be cheap and sturdy, and so the average retard can't break it and complain, vs the guy who will take care of it.
Yep that part is steel. I thought about trying to come up with some sort of lightweight solution but I ended up just turning mine into Swiss cheese. Probably not something that most people will be looking to get and so I don’t think I will get into making them. Although a billet piece would be super cool

Yeah, that part can be trimmed and drilled, and a little weight lost.
For all it does, it will be strong enough.
Something like this.

View attachment 1682247
I have to wonder how much stress those locking pins come under when being locked and unlocked....

As much as a pain Suzuki can be sometimes, they are usually pretty good engineers and design parts pretty well....

I have to wonder how much stress those locking pins come under when being locked and unlocked....

As much as a pain Suzuki can be sometimes, they are usually pretty good engineers and design parts pretty well....

I think they are overbuilt to last.
Vs someone like the OP, who will handle the part accordingly, however, I don't think it will be too delicate.
All the Busas I've worked on always had their cowl or passenger seat come off and go on easliy too.

I think they are overbuilt to last.
Vs someone like the OP, who will handle the part accordingly, however, I don't think it will be too delicate.
All the Busas I've worked on always had their cowl or passenger seat come off and go on easliy too.
I find mine to be tight to get on sometimes...

It would suck to be somewhere away from home and have a modified bracket break.....

Back