Garage Kept Busa

rdj6107

Registered
I have a 2008 Hayabusa that has been rode sparingly. The last time I rode it was about 2 years ago when I rode it home from the dealership from getting an oil change. It's been parked in the garage ever since with a half tank of gas with a Stabil additive. I want to start riding again in this Spring when things start to warm up. Because its' been sitting, should I have it towed to the dealership for a complete fluid change? It hasn't been started since I parked it, 2 years ago. thanks for the input.

I have a 2008 Hayabusa that has been rode sparingly. The last time I rode it was about 2 years ago when I rode it home from the dealership from getting an oil change. It's been parked in the garage ever since with a half tank of gas with a Stabil additive. I want to start riding again in this Spring when things start to warm up. Because its' been sitting, should I have it towed to the dealership for a complete fluid change? It hasn't been started since I parked it, 2 years ago. thanks for the input.

If you are not able to do the maintenance yourself, it would be better to have it taken somewhere to be looked over.
All fluids, check brake lines and valve stems, tires could be flat spotted from sitting, tank could have rust above the gas line, injectors could be gummed up, chain would need lubed, could have tight links, you'll need a battery.
I'de also pull the spark plugs, spray some lube in the cylinders, let it soak, and manually turn the engine over.
Rings can stick to the cylinder walls, and the force and speed of the starter can break them.
Better safe than sorry.

I’d treat it just like I’d bought a used bike that had been sitting for two years with a half empty fuel tank. If I wanted to ride it, that is. That’s pretty much all the info you gave us. A fresh oil change is a plus even if it’s two years old as long as there are very few miles on it. Change it after firing it up and the clutch grinds off some of it as it heats up and thins out. Better for draining. Pretty much every thing six said applies too or……you can pay thru the nose for a shop to do everything. Shop labor around here is $80-$120 per hour.

It will be more fun and cheaper asking a friend to sort the bike out for you if you are unable to do it yourself.
Get you mate to work on the bike in the day and then have him and his wife over for dinner and drinks that night to say thank you. That is what i would do, and you may learn some things as well.

/\ /\ For sure, if you have a bike mechanic buddy you trust in your pocket, that's the route to go, it will save you a pile of money.

200.gif

Back