I think I need a new chain and sprockets

jcornwell101

Registered
My 2017 has just under 17K on it and I believe its the original chain as the master link is blue. The weird part is in the past I would just replace the chain once I ran out of adjustment. Because, I lube and clean my chain regularly I usually got a lot of mileage out of my chain albeit on a lower power bike (VFR750). When I bought the bike and did all of my suspension stuff I changed the oil. I also bled and replaced brake fluid in the clutch, front, and rear master cylinders. I also pulled the clutch cover off and cleaned out all the gunk in there from the previous owner. I cleaned off and lubed that rod that actuates the clutch as well. The chain needed adjustment and I have proper play of 1" up and down when the bike is on the side stand like the manual says. But, I noticed that even after a good cleaning and lube that shifting starts getting alittle sloppy along with down shifting toward a light it gets really sloppy. I do not have any tight links but I notice that there is play between the pin and alot of the rollers of the chain. I feel like the lube between those is gone and the orings maybe shot. Plus the inner part a lot of the gold is scratched up and worn off along with some orange dust in spots on the inside.

So I think I may adjust the shifter to have less play and replace the chain/sprockets as I believe they are the original.

My 2017 has just under 17K on it and I believe its the original chain as the master link is blue. The weird part is in the past I would just replace the chain once I ran out of adjustment. Because, I lube and clean my chain regularly I usually got a lot of mileage out of my chain albeit on a lower power bike (VFR750). When I bought the bike and did all of my suspension stuff I changed the oil. I also bled and replaced brake fluid in the clutch, front, and rear master cylinders. I also pulled the clutch cover off and cleaned out all the gunk in there from the previous owner. I cleaned off and lubed that rod that actuates the clutch as well. The chain needed adjustment and I have proper play of 1" up and down when the bike is on the side stand like the manual says. But, I noticed that even after a good cleaning and lube that shifting starts getting alittle sloppy along with down shifting toward a light it gets really sloppy. I do not have any tight links but I notice that there is play between the pin and alot of the rollers of the chain. I feel like the lube between those is gone and the orings maybe shot. Plus the inner part a lot of the gold is scratched up and worn off along with some orange dust in spots on the inside.

So I think I may adjust the shifter to have less play and replace the chain/sprockets as I believe they are the original.
If you talk to a few members on here, their stock chains are still alive and well after tens of thousands of miles... @WuzzaCBXRider comes to mind as his chain is the original and he has over 80,000 miles on his bird....

How is the chain play with you sitting on the bike?

@Mythos wrote this up a while ago

If you talk to a few members on here, their stock chains are still alive and well after tens of thousands of miles... @WuzzaCBXRider comes to mind as his chain is the original and he has over 80,000 miles on his bird....

How is the chain play with you sitting on the bike?

@Mythos wrote this up a while ago

I stand corrected......I thought I read that @WuzzaCBXRider was running the original chain but I was incorrect.....

I recall something was original on his bike and thought it was the chain.....

The old adage comes to mind....."when in doubt, change it out" chains are disposable and are made to be replaced.

That one I haven't checked, but I feel the previous owner didn't really take good care of the chain based on the wear I see on the inside of it.
On my VFR that I sold recently I had 20k on the chain/sprockets I installed when I bought it in 08. I used dupont chain saver on it the entire time and would just wipe it off when it started to look dirty and lubed it. I never had to clean it because stuff never really accumulated on it.

That one I haven't checked, but I feel the previous owner didn't really take good care of the chain based on the wear I see on the inside of it.
On my VFR that I sold recently I had 20k on the chain/sprockets I installed when I bought it in 08. I used dupont chain saver on it the entire time and would just wipe it off when it started to look dirty and lubed it. I never had to clean it because stuff never really accumulated on it.

The stock shifter can also make the Busa's shifting feel clunky sometimes.
And, you are comparing a Suzuki to a Honda in smoothness...
lol

Lol I've had a 2004 Suzuki Katana 750 in the past and my father used to let me ride his 80 GS1000 we restored before he sold it. Both of those were comparable to the Honda.

Back