Donating Member
Registered
At least in my opinion.
Can't pull the rear wheel without pulling the rear caliper
Wheel.png

[EDIT]
Proper Procedure:
Thanks, @Mythos

I don't take off the caliper when I pull the back wheel...

Once I pull the axle, I push the rear wheel in towards the bike, take off the chain and pull the caliper off the rear disc then tilt the whole assembly outwards while I pull the rear wheel out.....I generally hold the caliper bracket with one hand while I do this....

I just removed the rear wheel for the first time and found the manual severely lacking. I had the caliper, disk, and wheel all stuck in one big mess. you know like that awful Ambrosia salad. I hope I did not apply too much torque to the disk as I had it jammed sideways against the wheel. So I was unsure on removal, and unsure of the best practice to carefully reassemble it. I will have to check out that write-up as @Mythos is awesome.

I literally had my back wheel off in minutes with very little fuss.....and my caliper was still on the carrier....I took the axle out until it cleared the caliper carrier and then pulled the caliper off the rear disc then left it, once the axle was all the way out, I pulled the carrier from the slot on the swingarm then moved it out of the way for the wheel to come out.

Practice and patience is your friend in this sort of situation.

I also built myself a wedge for the back tire for it to sit on while I remove my axle, once that is out, I move my wedge which drops the rear wheel down.

I think you could if it was high enough. Just did mine on a Pitbull stand and ended up having to pull the caliper and the chainguard.

I did pull the chain guard but not the caliper.....

My bike was on a rear stand as well....

I've never pulled the caliper on any bike when I pulled the rear wheel...
I don't know, I tried but couldn't get it off until I pushed off the caliper. My bike is lowered and the stand is as low as it can go.

I don't know, I tried but couldn't get it off until I pushed off the caliper. My bike is lowered and the stand is as low as it can go.
I guess I've just been lucky...

I have two ways of setting my rear stand-either by paddles on the swing arm (which is lower) or on the spools which raises it up quite a bit....I made a wedge out of wood to go under the tire to stabilize it and take the pressure off the axle when I remove it.....

Kinda related, did rear brakes last weekend on the Gen3 and manual says caliper should rotate with just one bolt out of it… nope and loosening the other didn’t help. I couldn’t pull the other bolt out either unless I removed the slipon.. the shims didn’t help either as they don’t really grab the pads but float there and fall out as you reassemble. Bad words were mumbled, then said a bit louder but she’s all better now.

I guess I've just been lucky...

I have two ways of setting my rear stand-either by paddles on the swing arm (which is lower) or on the spools which raises it up quite a bit....I made a wedge out of wood to go under the tire to stabilize it and take the pressure off the axle when I remove it.....
Mine only uses the spools

At least in my opinion.
Can't pull the rear wheel without pulling the rear caliper
Nope, I never could either. It's even a little tricky to coax that caliper out without touching the wheel. When I remove the caliper, I always put tape on my rear rim where the caliper will contact it to avoid any accidental scrapes.

I just removed the rear wheel for the first time and found the manual severely lacking. I had the caliper, disk, and wheel all stuck in one big mess. you know like that awful Ambrosia salad. I hope I did not apply too much torque to the disk as I had it jammed sideways against the wheel. So I was unsure on removal, and unsure of the best practice to carefully reassemble it. I will have to check out that write-up as @Mythos is awesome.
It's trying on my patients but I always have a struggle to remove the rear wheel and to line it up straight to get the axle back through for installation.

Nope, I never could either. It's even a little tricky to coax that caliper out without touching the wheel. When I remove the caliper, I always put tape on my rear rim where the caliper will contact it to avoid any accidental scrapes.

It's trying on my patients but I always have a struggle to remove the rear wheel and to line it up straight to get the axle back through for installation.
Crazy enough, I find it pretty simple and easy to take off and replace the rear tire without taking the caliper off the carrier....

Crazy enough, I find it pretty simple and easy to take off and replace the rear tire without taking the caliper off the carrier....
It's been a very long time since I removed the rear wheel but maybe if the rear end is lifted off the ground high enough, the caliper will clear the rotor. Then you'd have to lift the rear wheel back up into the caliper though. It sure looks like you might be able to just remove the rear bolt on the caliper and pivot it up on the front bolt to clear the rotor. I don't know. Every time I tried, I just ended up removing the caliper.

It's been a very long time since I removed the rear wheel but maybe if the rear end is lifted off the ground high enough, the caliper will clear the rotor. Then you'd have to lift the rear wheel back up into the caliper though. It sure looks like you might be able to just remove the rear bolt on the caliper and pivot it up on the front bolt to clear the rotor. I don't know. Every time I tried, I just ended up removing the caliper.
I built a wooden ramp for the back tire to support it when taking out the axle and then to lift it up when I put the axle back in.....I also wrap the caliper and carrier in a rag when doing so to avoid whacking the rim....

I think it depends on the rear stand and how high you get the bike off the ground. I pull the caliper and there is hardly enough room to wiggle out the back wheel, kind of at an angle.

The front, good luck following the manual and removing the fender with the front wheel in place. Unless you break the clip securing the brake line on the fender back top.

I think it depends on the rear stand and how high you get the bike off the ground. I pull the caliper and there is hardly enough room to wiggle out the back wheel, kind of at an angle.

The front, good luck following the manual and removing the fender with the front wheel in place. Unless you break the clip securing the brake line on the fender back top.
Removal of front fender with wheel in place is not happening, just lift the fender a couple inches… I just jack up the front of the bike with jack under engine and don’t have to touch the front fender. Then slide wheel out easily.

Back