Who Rode Today?

That's a big change from a GSXR.....can't wait to see the wheelie videos.....

Oh it'll do it...I've already rode some one footers, but won't do any more until I get footpegs, as I feel that I have no control on these floor boards, I need to be able to move my feet around on the pegs.
Not being able to do so has made low speed turns twitchy...not to mention the steering head bearings are shot, lol
A common GW problem, even at lower miles(bike is a 2007 with almost 42k miles).
I have put 550 miles on it in 3 days, and the bars shake as soon as I let go at most speeds, lol, but I'm suprised how unnoticeable it is even with a light grip on the bars...until I get off of it.
The vibes become noticeable through my body then, and it doesn't feel very nice, lol.
I have already ordered the new steering neck bearings, and will be doing those asap.
The ride will be glass smooth after.
I ordered a service manual, 4 led headlights, a K&N air filter, Ebc HH brake pads, and am still searching for the best price on oem footpegs and mounting hardware.
It has a new rear tire, a decent front(Dunlops for the GW), and came with a GW cover and factory soft bags.
I already put on Pro-Grip 761 grips too.
I'm going to do front wheel bearings, all the brake pads(front and rear) and fork seals while I have the front end off too.
These bikes, 06-12, go for $8k-$12k average here, and I paid $6500 knowing it had a few minor things to be fixed.
So far I can't belive just how much that I like it, but...food poisoning from CrackerBarrel yesterday has me out of conmission for the meantime...yay

Oh it'll do it...I've already rode some one footers, but won't do any more until I get footpegs, as I feel that I have no control on these floor boards, I need to be able to move my feet around on the pegs.
Not being able to do so has made low speed turns twitchy...not to mention the steering head bearings are shot, lol
A common GW problem, even at lower miles(bike is a 2007 with almost 42k miles).
I have put 550 miles on it in 3 days, and the bars shake as soon as I let go at most speeds, lol, but I'm suprised how unnoticeable it is even with a light grip on the bars...until I get off of it.
The vibes become noticeable through my body then, and it doesn't feel very nice, lol.
I have already ordered the new steering neck bearings, and will be doing those asap.
The ride will be glass smooth after.
I ordered a service manual, 4 led headlights, a K&N air filter, Ebc HH brake pads, and am still searching for the best price on oem footpegs and mounting hardware.
It has a new rear tire, a decent front(Dunlops for the GW), and came with a GW cover and factory soft bags.
I already put on Pro-Grip 761 grips too.
I'm going to do front wheel bearings, all the brake pads(front and rear) and fork seals while I have the front end off too.
These bikes, 06-12, go for $8k-$12k average here, and I paid $6500 knowing it had a few minor things to be fixed.
So far I can't belive just how much that I like it, but...food poisoning from CrackerBarrel yesterday has me out of conmission for the meantime...yay

Glad you’re liking it, it’s a real pretty bike. Just think of the floorboards as curb feelers. Years ago I saw an old couple (my age now probably) on one pulling a trailer in Kellogg ID. G’ma on the back (with arm rests) had a video recorder on her shoulder (remember those)? and as G’pa pointed out something she would aim the camera in that direction. I followed them thru town until they pulled into a motel. That rig, with trailer, even back then must’ve cost plenty. My thoughts then were, why not get a Honda Accord with a sunroof? And now, at 74 I have three motorcycles…never did get a Honda Accord.

Almost forgot, I got in 129 fast Smiles today on the Busa. :firing:

Last edited:
Glad you’re liking it, it’s a real pretty bike. Just think of the floorboards as curb feelers. Years ago I saw an old couple (my age now probably) on one pulling a trailer in Kellogg ID. G’ma on the back (with arm rests) had a video recorder on her shoulder (remember those)? and as G’pa pointed out something she would aim the camera in that direction. I followed them thru town until they pulled into a motel. That rig, with trailer, even back then must’ve cost plenty. My thoughts then were, why not get a Honda Accord with a sunroof? And now, at 74 I have three motorcycles…never did get a Honda Accord.

Almost forgot, I got in 129 fast Smiles today on the Busa. :firing:

Yep, I've drug the boards and my boots several times...and though I was going to lowside across a 4 lane, with full drag, coming out of a cloverleaf entrance.
My friend who drove me to get it was about a hundred yards ahead, and said he had no idea it would lean that far...I told him that was it, lol.
But, I can gain a little more lean once I get pegs on there.
As for grandma with the vhs recorder, lol, I can just picture that now...and her seasick home movies...
I actually had a Honda Accord about 25-30 years ago too(yes, it had a sunroof, lol).
I'm glad to see that you're still riding too, and I always enjoy your pictures.
My GW is going to save my aching body, and my soon to be finished gsxr1k with dirtbike bars will keep my sanity.
My friend's '18 gsxr1k rocketship that I keep, I ride that for about 10 minutes at a time anymore, and back home, it's fun, but uncomfortable at this point.
Oh well, is what it is.

I see you’re in VA. Talking about riding, a couple online acquaintances from Australia on the BMW K1600 forum have flown to VA to a friends house to start their cross America tour. They bought K1600s here for the trip. Their friend’s bike blew a driveshaft somewhere so instead of waiting for parts he just bought a new bike! He’ll continue the trip on a new K1600 (they go for about 30K).:eek: They should be in CO by now. I may meet up with them when they get close. When I started jonesin for another six I looked over there for info on BMWs big six. I’ve only sat on them but they just didn’t fit me, much like your model of Wing. I’m sure with mods I might like one of them enough to buy but I’ve always counted on liking that ‘feeling’ right off or it’s no deal. Although I have just a 32” inseam my reach is 84”. They’re also too frikkin heavy!:laugh: My ‘new’ Honda comes in around 600 pounds and (it’s) too frikkin heavy too. The low down weight of the Busa suits me fine but I don’t like up high weight very much except at speed.

Last edited:
I see you’re in VA. Talking about riding, a couple online acquaintances from Australia on the BMW K1600 forum have flown to VA to a friends house to start their cross America tour. They bought K1600s here for the trip. Their friend’s bike blew a driveshaft somewhere so instead of waiting for parts he just bought a new bike! He’ll continue the trip on a new K1600 (they go for about 30K).:eek: They should be in CO by now. I may meet up with them when they get close. When I started jonesin for another six I looked over there for info on BMWs big six. I’ve only sat on them but they just didn’t fit me, much like your model of Wing. I’m sure with mods I might like one of them enough to buy but I’ve always counted on liking that ‘feeling’ right off or it’s no deal. Although I have just a 32” inseam my reach is 84”. They’re also too frikkin heavy!:laugh: My ‘new’ Honda comes in around 600 pounds and (it’s) too frikkin heavy too. The low down weight of the Busa suits me fine but I don’t like up high weight very much except at speed.

The GW only feels heavy on the kickstand, but shockingly light as soon as it's moving.
I was suprised at what a small feeling bike that it really is in general.
I'de like to hear how you and taller guys fit on this thing.
@TallTom is I think at least 8" taller than me, and I would think he feels really big on his GW??

The GW only feels heavy on the kickstand, but shockingly light as soon as it's moving.
@TallTom is I think at least 8" taller than me, and I would think he feels really big on his GW??
I think everyone says that their bike feels light and spry off the side stand....even the big 'ol HD boats....

I rode a 'Wing a long time ago when they first switched to the 1800 and it was a really comfy bike....but I couldn't do too much crazy stuff with it when the owner was driving behind me.....(I rode it home for him when he bought it-crazily enough).

If you start referring to yourself as "Skipper" and the boss lady as "First Mate" you'll know you've finally arrived as a "land yacht" owner........

I’m just 6’ but my shins touched somewhere, I needed pegs not boards more forward, maybe lower, and the bars weren’t quite right. The large array of buttons and controls in the immense ‘dashboard’ in front of the rider is also a bit intimidating. And light or not after it’s moving, it still rings the bell at nearly one half ton before you even sit on it. What’s it weigh two up and loaded for a tour? I’m gettin weak in my old age! :confused:

I'm 6'6". My 1st impression of the wing size wise was for a big bike it felt very small ergonomically. Honda designs the Wing to be in an "upright" sitting position. The big flat 6 gives you little choice for the foot box. The pegs are behind the engine. Every other bike I've owned you can fit your legs down the frame more forward. Every cruiser I've had you just extend your legs forward.

The Wings I sat on all felt "small" from an ergo perspective. When I bought my current wing, the previous owner was shorter. So he actually had a seat made that seated him more forward. I sat in it and it felt like a clown car. My knees were hiked up and touching the fairings. I was sure I had made a huge mistake buying it. I rode it home 700 miles like that. One of my worst riding experiences ever.

But I began to learn, you have miles of room backwards and up.

The standard wing rider was built for 5'5-5'8 rider. So you find a good seat maker that knows Wings. I chose to go with a total custom fit. There are "out of the box" choices. I just didn't feel like a one size fits all choice was right at my height.

You send pictures and measurements and answer questions. My seat was raised 3 inches and moved back 4 inches. He was particularly concerned with passenger sizing. If I were a solo rider he could have stretched more. At this point we decided I wasn't going to have a larger passenger. He said the rear is good for 5'7 and 160 lbs. I have yet to put a passenger back there.

It was night and day difference. I did 800 miles and it was a different machine to ride. Totally comfortable riding upright now. Knees are relaxed and you sit at pretty much a 90 ° bend at knees. Back rest is adjustable from lower to mid back up down and forward and backward position. It really is like sitting upright in a comfortable living room chair now.

I didn't post it up on my bike thread, but I actually bought a bar relocater.

It broght the bars back 3 inches and rolled them forward about 2 inches. That solved a little knot that developed between my shoulder blades.

The Wing also comes with highway bars. They attach to the factory crash bars. This allows you to move your legs straighter. I set them up to actually rest my calves on them, giving me completely outstretched legs now.

As far as the feeling of size. At the start it felt like a battleship. But Honda put a lot of thought into the CG. While it's huge overall, the low CG gives you a lot more confidence. I wouldn't call her nimble. But I can comfortably do a feet up U-Turn in a single traffic lane from a dead stop.

I'm running double dark side. And I can drag pegs pretty readily on her. Considering she's 900 lbs wet and over 1000 with me, that's pretty good.

I also have a completely upgraded front and rear suspension. Which adds a LOT of confidence. You still have a supple ride but you get feedback that telegraphs your lines pretty well. She goes where you point her without contempt.

She's oddly very tuneable once you set her up. I can dial in pre-load and you get immediate feedback. Tire pressure by a difference of 3 lbs, talks to you. The Wing is far from a marshmallow. She's not sportbike. Never meant to be. But for comfortable ride for hours and carve a decent line when needed, she is surprisingly good at a lot of things.

Last edited:
I'm 6'6". My 1st impression of the wing size wise was for a big bike it felt very small ergonomically. Honda designs the Wing to be in an "upright" sitting position. The big flat 6 gives you little choice for the foot box. The pegs are behind the engine. Every other bike I've owned you can fit your legs down the frame more forward. Every cruiser I've had you just extend your legs forward.

The Wings I sat on all felt "small" from an ergo perspective. When I bought my current wing, the previous owner was shorter. So he actually had a seat made that seated him more forward. I sat in it and it felt like a clown car. My knees were hiked up and touching the fairings. I was sure I had made a huge mistake buying it. I rode it home 700 miles like that. One of my worst riding experiences ever.

But I began to learn, you have miles of room backwards and up.

The standard wing rider was built for 5'5-5'8 rider. So you find a good seat maker that knows Wings. I chose to go with a total custom fit. There are "out of the box" choices. I just didn't feel like a one size fits all choice was right at my height.

You send pictures and measurements and answer questions. My seat was raised 3 inches and moved back 4 inches. He was particularly concerned with passenger sizing. If I were a solo rider he could have stretched more. At this point we decided I wasn't going to have a larger passenger. He said the rear is good for 5'7 and 160 lbs. I have yet to put a passenger back there.

It was night and day difference. I did 800 miles and it was a different machine to ride. Totally comfortable riding upright now. Knees are relaxed and you sit at pretty much a 90 ° bend at knees. Back rest is adjustable from lower to mid back up down and forward and backward position. It really is like sitting upright in a comfortable living room chair now.

I didn't post it up on my bike thread, but I actually bought a bar relocater.

It broght the bars back 3 inches and rolled them forward about 2 inches. That solved a little knot that developed between my shoulder blades.

The Wing also comes with highway bars. They attach to the factory crash bars. This allows you to move your legs straighter. I set them up to actually rest my calves on them, giving me completely outstretched legs now.

As far as the feeling of size. At the start it felt like a battleship. But Honda put a lot of thought into the CG. While it's huge overall, the low CG gives you a lot more confidence. I wouldn't call her nimble. But I can comfortably do a feet up U-Turn in a single traffic lane from a dead stop.

I'm running double dark side. And I can drag pegs pretty readily on her. Considering she's 900 lbs wet and over 1000 with me, that's pretty good.

I also have a completely upgraded front and rear suspension. Which adds a LOT of confidence. You still have a supple ride but you get feedback that telegraphs your lines pretty well. She goes where you point her without contempt.

She's oddly very tuneable once you set her up. I can dial in pre-load and you get immediate feedback. Tire pressure by a difference of 3 lbs, talks to you. The Wing is far from a marshmallow. She's not sportbike. Never meant to be. But for comfortable ride for hours and carve a decent line when needed, she is surprisingly good at a lot of things.

The guy I got mine from was about 5'5", and he put on the boards and heel/toe shifter...that I can't get my toe under.
I also think that a taller seat would be an improvement, so I'll look into that.
I want to do the suspension too, so I'll add it to the list.
I played with the rear preload some as well, and was really suprised just how well that works!

Back