1st time to the track

G

Hi.  I've been reading the posts here and they're very helpful.  I'm going to the strip Friday night just to watch & talk and then I plan to race it next Thursday.  My biggest fear is the front wheel coming up too high and me panicking and then the next second my beloved is sliding down the strip.  The anxiety is unbelievable.  I've been practicing on the street for a while but I've heard the dragstrip is a whole 'nother thing.  Any newbie advice would be greatly appreciated!  I've got all the gear and the tether switch now I just need those nerves of steel!

kris

I say take it slow and easy first time out. Maybe try just launching soft for the first time to the track to get used to all the distractions and get a "feel" for ridin' on the track. I haven't ran my busa on the track yet but I know from runnin' my stangs and Trans Am there that it's a heck of a lot different than racin' or practice on the street.

Launchin' soft and runnin' hard through the gears won't get you the best times possible first time out but it will get you used to everything without the worries of hard launches and loopin' it off the line. Beats the hell outta crashin' in front of that crowd, or just crashin'... crowd or not. Work your way up to hard launches and full tilt boogey. :cool:

thanks, if I have any plan at all that's it.  At least for the first time.  I have a feeling that when I get to the light my plan is going to fly "out the window" and it will just be runnin on instinct but it's good to have one anyway.  :)

As long as I get to the end of the track and I'm still holdin on I'll be so happy.  Then I'll pick up my 13 second time slip and get back in line and try again.  

:D

after your first 3 or 4 runs, you will be shaking like an earthquake!! not kidding. I was sore from nerves after my first day.

now...
if your bike is stock, and it sounds like your gonna experience something wonderful for the first time..................

the first few times, launch like your leaving from a stop light. seriously. get the clutch ready, the light goes green, release the clutch and run the throttle up, make sure you tuck and keep forward on the bike, and just effin ram that mutha!!!!!!

hav fun.

no, this will be my first time.
Ahhh. Yer in for a treat!:super: First time to the line can be a little nerve rackin'. Yer runnin' so much through yer mind. All the lights, all the spectators, the people that run before you, the track officials, the water box/burnout area, staging, hittin' the tree, not hittin' the guard rails, what kind of suicidal idiot might be in the lane beside you (<~ prolly the scariest thing of all), announcer on the PA system, etc... The first time I ran on a track I had my plan all layed out. Make sure radio, a/c, etc is turned off before burnout, make sure windows are up before staging, check helmet strap, etc... My first run was made with the a/c blowin' cold, a CD playin and the windows dropped about 2 inches. There was so much stimulation from the new surroundings that none of it registered with me until I was on the return road and pickin' up my time slip. Remember, I had been with buds that ran their cars MANY times and seen them take care of all these little things before running. I had a plan. I'm tellin' ya, all that goes out the window first time out. Now, in a car, I feel at home on the strip. Somehow I figure the first time on the busa will be like starting new again.

It's good to at least watch one night, as you mentioned doing, but it is truly a different world when you run yer own ride no matter how much you've watched. It's a rush, though, even in a fairly slow car. Here's an idea. Instead of just going and watching first you might even consider runnin' yer street car in a local bracket race or time trials to get a feel for runnin' on the track. You'll be able to see everything from a driver's perspective without adding the stress of runnin' a monsta like the busa. If you end up being a little overwhelmed by it all to begin with, it'll be easier to pilot yer car under that pressure than it would be to pilot the busa. Well, that's assuming that you don't have a 9 second 1/4 mile street car. :super:

The most important thing to remember, and I believe you have it covered, is to take it slow and easy and not try to post hot numbers yer first few times out. I wouldn't (and won't) worry about what kind of numbers pop up the first few times on the track with the busa. Draggin' something as fast as the busa definitely has a learning curve.

Just be safe and have fun. Let us know how you do. I'm not talkin' about numbers, I'm talkin' about how fun it was and how addicted you are after yer first time!  :super:  :super:

Ok, my fingers are numb from typin'...  :eek:

no, this will be my first time.
Ahhh. Yer in for a treat!:super: First time to the line can be a little nerve rackin'. Yer runnin' so much through yer mind. All the lights, all the spectators, the people that run before you, the track officials, the water box/burnout area, staging, hittin' the tree, not hittin' the guard rails, what kind of suicidal idiot might be in the lane beside you (<~ prolly the scariest thing of all), announcer on the PA system, etc... The first time I ran on a track I had my plan all layed out. Make sure radio, a/c, etc is turned off before burnout, make sure windows are up before staging, check helmet strap, etc... My first run was made with the a/c blowin' cold, a CD playin and the windows dropped about 2 inches. There was so much stimulation from the new surroundings that none of it registered with me until I was on the return road and pickin' up my time slip. Remember, I had been with buds that ran their cars MANY times and seen them take care of all these little things before running. I had a plan. I'm tellin' ya, all that goes out the window first time out. Now, in a car, I feel at home on the strip. Somehow I figure the first time on the busa will be like starting new again.

It's good to at least watch one night, as you mentioned doing, but it is truly a different world when you run yer own ride no matter how much you've watched. It's a rush, though, even in a fairly slow car. Here's an idea. Instead of just going and watching first you might even consider runnin' yer street car in a local bracket race or time trials to get a feel for runnin' on the track. You'll be able to see everything from a driver's perspective without adding the stress of runnin' a monsta like the busa. If you end up being a little overwhelmed by it all to begin with, it'll be easier to pilot yer car under that pressure than it would be to pilot the busa. Well, that's assuming that you don't have a 9 second 1/4 mile street car. :super:

The most important thing to remember, and I believe you have it covered, is to take it slow and easy and not try to post hot numbers yer first few times out. I wouldn't (and won't) worry about what kind of numbers pop up the first few times on the track with the busa. Draggin' something as fast as the busa definitely has a learning curve.

Just be safe and have fun. Let us know how you do. I'm not talkin' about numbers, I'm talkin' about how fun it was and how addicted you are after yer first time!  :super:  :super:

Ok, my fingers are numb from typin'...  :eek:
Yeah what he said.
Welcome to the board Busababe :beerchug:

thank you, thank you!  That was great advice.  I just got back from the track and almost ran on the "spur of the moment" but I didn't.  They said I could run w/o the tether but I'm having it installed next week so I decided to wait.  It was great though because I got to talk to a few other motorcycle racers.  They didn't believe I had a Hayabusa (had to show 'em) but I'm use to that.  ;)  I got to talk to someone who was racing for the 1st time too so we had a little in common.  

The only thing for sure is that I'm gonna be "slow" from the light and into 2nd and then full throttle from there.  I was out "practicing" today and I know the track is going to be different but I really have a feel for the 1st to 2nd shift full throttle so that makes me more confident.  

This is gonna be fun.  I'll let you know how I do Thursday.

So, how was it Kris?  Anything to report?
Hope all is well!  :)

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1066663942 -->

Back