Adjusting the Fast Idle

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
Mine had dropped to 100 rpm above my regular idle, so I propped up the tank and found the adjustment screw which is pretty much buried and tough to get at with a screw driver.
So, being lazy like I am, I got a pair of needle nose pliars and turned the threaded portion of the screw which is reachable.

You would be pulling the pliars towards you which is un-screwing the screw--the opposite of the idle screw. I easily got the rpms up to 2000, which I think is fast enough for a cold engine.

Nice.

I personally would be careful not to strip/flatten the threads by mashing too hard on the pliers.

Also, with normal idle being 1100 rpms, I think I'd like my fast to be about 1700 (tops) in the cold weather. The last thing I want to do is crack the block by trying to run it too hard too fast. I'll admit I goose the throttle a couple times before taking off though. I do this just to make sure if somethings going to break, it breaks before I'm rolling... so maybe that's just as bad or worse.

05's must be different from the 02's. I lift the tank and it's right there. I have only had to reset it one time. Have you had to do it more FAVahalik?

Had the same problem. My fix was do away with it all together.I ordered the idle adjuster from the 2000 model which puts it out the side right under the tank don't have to remove anything you can be sitting at a red light and just reach down and adjust.30.00 Total cost for adjuster mounting bracket and rod. There is already a hole threaded for it in the frame..

Had the same problem. My fix was do away with it all together.I ordered the idle adjuster from the 2000 model which puts it out the side right under the tank don't have to remove anything you can be sitting at a red light and just reach down and adjust.30.00 Total cost for adjuster mounting bracket and rod. There is already a hole threaded for it in the frame..
Makes you wonder why they changed it.

I use a flashlight and standard screw driver to make idle adjustments without raising the tank. Locate the knarled adjustment screw with the flashlight and carefully slide that screw driver through the gap between tank and frame and make your adjustment.

05's must be different from the 02's. I lift the tank and it's right there. I have only had to reset it one time. Have you had to do it more FAVahalik?
Yes, I think it is. If you look at the cables coming to where the normal idle adjustment is (I see 3) it is the cable closest to the inside and the adjustment screw is buried behind the cables and under something so that you would need a 7 jointed screw driver to try and reach back, around, and behind to get to it. I mean it is really buried. But, you can see the front part of the screw sticking out and you can get to that.

This is the first time I've had to adjust it, and I only had to adjust the regular idle once. It's kind of like the cables stretch a bit like chains do when they are new.

I posted because I saw someone else asking about how to adjust an 05.

I think he is talking about the fast idle (choke) for warmup. Not actually the idle adjustment.

No the one i changed and added from the 99,00,01 model is the idle adjustment.for some reason they did away with it . why i don't know a friend has a 00 and i seen his .So called and ordered it for his model and put it on my 05...Don't have to adjust it that much but it sure is nice not to have to lift the tank to do it..

Back