Advise where to send my ECU??

jaysrippen

Registered
Hello guys, its snowing and cold up here, Great time to send my ECU away for mapping/tune/set up to be installed. I am no where close to a dyno and good tuner, guessing closest is Calgary and thats 14hour trip for me. So I wanted to send it away for a tune. Any recommendations? RC's?
For my stock 2008 hayabusa (Yosh slip ons/ geared one tooth down frt/MSD launch master/high flow air filter/velocity stacks). Il also have ecu set up for air shifter.

Oh, I looked into ECU editor and I think it may be too complicated for me. I watched the set up video's. I'm not comfortable guessing at fuel and ignition changes on my motor.
I do think theres tunes I can download from internet, but almost feel that someone who has more experiance would be better. Oh its cheaper to send away then buy editor kit.

Okay cause of what I know now I suggest you buy editor if that is what you want to use and here is why...Your deal will differ a bit cause you have a gen2 and can verify and read unlike the gen1.. I hope a code gets written so we Gen1 guys can use the function...When you send ecu out, you usually esp. if a gen 1 unit will not get a copy of the map to further tune with.. I found this out after I spent funds to have MPS do my ecu, before I got editor myself and start tuning with it. They say oh it will get passed around. I have never ever in 8 years gave a dealer map to anyone... So basically I have to do what I could have done to begin with and just brought editor and tuned them myself to start with...I was told just use a pc if you need to do additional tune, why would I when i have editor and wanted less boxes to start...

THE THING IS YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ABLE TO MAKE CHANGES... i have never seen two bikes respond the same to the same system, so I don't believe I can get the best tune sending my ecu out to someone, as there are two many variables...I did the mps thing cause I ASSumed I would get a copy and be able to tune it more without having to buy a pc...

moral of story buy it, take your time and enjoy it...you won't regret it.. The 2012 I just did runs flawless and you can't see anything on it to see I tuned the ecu..

Sending off for a custom map is like trying to get fitted for a tuxedo but never showing up.
Will it fit/work... yeah sure

Boost By Smith has a new data logger. If you dont want to take the time to drive to a dyno and get a tune why not buy the data logger and do some learning to tune it correctly?

Sending off for a custom map is like trying to get fitted for a tuxedo but never showing up.
Will it fit/work... yeah sure

Boost By Smith has a new data logger. If you dont want to take the time to drive to a dyno and get a tune why not buy the data logger and do some learning to tune it correctly?

Exactly! Nothing like real world dyno tuning on a calibrated piece of equipment with a reputable/knowledgeable tuner. Sure you could use a canned map/flash, doesn't mean it will be best suited for your particular needs.

Yep, and what you spend on Ecu editor and the Woolrich datalogger won't be much more than a good dyno tune.
It'll be alot less after you figure in time and gas for a 28hr round trip too obviously.
A gen2 with slipons and air filter will run fine on the stock tune, but there's always room for improvement.
I have Ecu editor, and a datalogger is next on my mod list.:beerchug:

Great info, soooo you have convinced me to go with ECU editor.
Now quick question as far as mapping (fuel and ignition) changes do I guess at those myself or download maps from internet? Thanks for your time guys!!

Great info, soooo you have convinced me to go with ECU editor.
Now quick question as far as mapping (fuel and ignition) changes do I guess at those myself or download maps from internet? Thanks for your time guys!!

I wouldn't touch an air/fuel map without being on a dyno(unless it's from datalogging).
There is also no specific place to download ecu editor maps. You could only get something that someone sent you, or uploaded somewhere. That map would still only be a base map on your bike too. As you can dyno tune 2 identical bikes with the same mods and there still be some variences between the two.
You can turn off the factory restrictions in ecu editor and get a more responsive bike, noticeably.
With just slip-ons and an air filter the bike will still run fine. You can even run a full exhaust and do no harm to the engine.
Your best bet is the Woolrich Racing datalogger, a wideband O2 sensor which allows for more adjustment, and ecu editor.
This is actually better than a good dyno tune.

Did you guys miss the part where he said 'I looked into ECU editor and I think it may be too complicated for me' ? I agree with him on that.
I have owned the ecu flasher from boostbysmith for a couple years and every time i use it i find myself trying to learn how all over again. im not saying its a bad product its just not for me. I would rather be on my bike riding it instead of setting next to it looking at a computer. If you need support with ECU editor then you will need to get on a forum. I do think its great for some things like the shifter setup, rev limit, and to remove the restrictions. Then be done. But is sounds like what you are looking for is something to adjust fueling for you mods. I was getting ready to order the Woolich datalogger and o2 sensor to adjust for the mods i made over the winter. After doing a lot of research i will order the bazzaz system with the self mapping box. It just seems so much more user friendly and they have great support from everything i have read on various forms. I also really liked the pc5 with the autotune. Any of the three options will set you back about $500. Check it out. You have several options to tune the bike yourself some simpler than others some with good support others not so. I think all three will do a great job for the mods you have.

Did you guys miss the part where he said 'I looked into ECU editor and I think it may be too complicated for me' ? I agree with him on that.
I have owned the ecu flasher from boostbysmith for a couple years and every time i use it i find myself trying to learn how all over again. im not saying its a bad product its just not for me. I would rather be on my bike riding it instead of setting next to it looking at a computer. If you need support with ECU editor then you will need to get on a forum. I do think its great for some things like the shifter setup, rev limit, and to remove the restrictions. Then be done. But is sounds like what you are looking for is something to adjust fueling for you mods. I was getting ready to order the Woolich datalogger and o2 sensor to adjust for the mods i made over the winter. After doing a lot of research i will order the bazzaz system with the self mapping box. It just seems so much more user friendly and they have great support from everything i have read on various forms. I also really liked the pc5 with the autotune. Any of the three options will set you back about $500. Check it out. You have several options to tune the bike yourself some simpler than others some with good support others not so. I think all three will do a great job for the mods you have.

He said he didn't want to be guessing at air and fuel adjustements, and that is why it seemed as though it may be too complicated. As expalined, without a datalogger or dyno, guessing is all you would be doing...as well as ruining an engine.
Getting a Bazzaz or PC5 limits you to adjusting air/fuel and ignition alone, as opposed to that and everything else that ecu editor offers.
As far as ecu editor support goes, and only getting it on a forum...guess who is here regulary, Greg Smith.
Ask myself and countless others, here or by email, you cannot get better support and customer service than Greg Smith. No matter how little or how much you know. He is the very best and will go out of his way to get you straight. No one else stands behind their product like he does.
I also hear the same things about Justin at Woolrich racing, for the datalogger.
Although I've yet to buy/afford a datalogger, from what I continue to read about the Woolrich datalogger; it is no more complicated than Bazzaz or PC5.
Ecu editor all the way!:thumbsup:

Enjoy your W box when you get it. Just not for me. After reading forums and watching videos for days i have decided on the bazzaz system. Ya i know w-box does so much more but do i really need all that. i think ill get by. Just wanted to make sure that jaysrippen knew he had other options to look into. Like i said i purchased the flasher from Greg a couple years ago and have used it to remove restrictions, air shifter, and rev limiter. It has served me well. Made some changes to the bike now i am ready to do some tuning at the track. I have been planning to buy the Woolich datalogger since it came out. Then i found i had other options and decided on something else. The bazzaz just seems alot more user friendly to me.

Mail order tunes arn't that bad. I had a gsxr 600 with k&N race filter, leo vince gp slipon. It put down 110hp 45tq on the dyno. Sent my ecu to FlashTune.com they added a generic slipon exhaust map, generic ignition map(91 octane), disabled the Pair system(I removed it), raised the rev limit, and a TRE. I also disabled the SET valve. After it put down 110hp 46tq, but the numbers didn't tell the whole story. It pulled harder from low RPMs, and felt stronger everywhere. Looking at the graphs the curve was alot smother.

Before dyno

dsc00221.jpg

After dyno

dyno_010.jpg

If you cant have a custom dyno tune done locally, and mail order tune will be a step in the right direction

quick update, ECU programmed/tunned by Frank at powerhouse. Real nice guy, im excited to try it (still winter here). Also got clutch mod and rear lowering link. thanks, guys

quick update, ECU programmed/tunned by Frank at powerhouse. Real nice guy, im excited to try it (still winter here). Also got clutch mod and rear lowering link. thanks, guys

You will be happy and pleasantly surprised with just those mods.

Get yourself a good data logger if your going to flash tune,i use a dl32/Lc1 from innovate,not expensive and tells me all i need to know to make changes to my tune,you cant tune blindfolded.You can overlay the speed trace of 2 separate runs with different air/ fuel and compare,the same with timing,give the bike what it likes and itll run at its best.

Back