Almost done with rear wheel mod

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
Upon a couple of your suggestions, and reviewing a few pictures, the all black rear rim had to go.

This is a very easy, and rather fast mod to do. I use Automotive duct tape to creat a line, then will use some to detail it closer to the line I wanted. I used 'Kwik-Strip' brand aerosol stripper. Works Great. and fast. Just stray on, wait 15 mins and wipe off 'sludge'.  The side facing the cold weather seemed much more stubborn. But this is why I had steel wool with me
biggrin.gif

I didn't take a close pic because I have to detail the brim of the rim and the line closer in.  Heck I may even go 1 line in on the front rim. I went 2 lines in on the rear rim.  Anyways, hope you like so far

PICT0356.JPG

polishedwheels.JPG

polishedwheels(1).JPG

(TXBusa05LE @ Apr. 08 2007,00:13) 15 mins & wipe?  I might have to look into this mod...  
guns.gif
Here is the actual product

37802-01-500.jpg

This is Premium stripper.  The can actually says on the back of the can to wait 5 to 10 mins then wipe off sludge, I just opt to wait 15. Comes right off! Now like I said before, the side facing 37 degree weather took a little more work to come off, but still all to easy. I was even think of doing both wheels fully stripped because its too easy lol

Nice. You really dont need to tape the inner line off (I assume you taped b/w the smooth and rough part of the inner lip). The stripper doesnt mess with that rough center section. I stripped my wheels so I could powder coat them, we used about a gallon or two of stripper, finally gave in and used it with a wire wheel, sand paper etc....

I did my rims, on my 01 busa, I used a industrial stripper we had in the explosion bin at my shop {prolly 10 years old} the paint was coming off as I was wiping the stripper on, after I got them all clean, I sanded my B@lls off {started with 400 went all the way to 1800 wet}, then hit it with the rouge pad and mothers pollish.... they looked chrome, but they were a paint to keep looking good.... I wished I never did it, they needed pollish all the time..
rant.gif

BUt there looking good'
good luck
lurk.gif

Might look good with a white stripe around the wheel like on them Italian bikes....

Well I guess I can say I stripped off the paint, so it looks matches the unpainted part of the LE rim. I did not actually 'sand' or 'polished' it to look like chrome. LOL I guess I will keep it, so I don't have to polish all the time like you said
smile.gif
But I know actually polished looks good.

what if you polish, then put on clear coat? make it hold that polish finish?

(turb06LE240 @ Apr. 08 2007,12:07) Hmmm, I dont know how the clear will stick to a super smooth polished surface...
true that, I don't know much about painting lol. But Dupli-color makes a clear coat for wheels, its metallic clear coat and makes it shiny. So I figured something to that effect.

damn that does look good, really good. Don't know if I can force myself to do that much work lol. Seeing that this should be the last crappy weekend (cold+rain) maybe if it rains all weekend sometime I may do it, the more I look at your pic, I want to.

BTW your picture looks similiar to those Infamous BT garage shots lol.

clearcoating over the bare aluminum loogs good until the clearcoat starts to yellow after about a year. You're better off getting some metal glaze polish and polishing them up a bit once in a while. Applying a metal glaze sealant will slow the oxidation process greatly making a quarterly cleaning quick adn easy.
Looks good
beerchug.gif

(CAT3 @ Apr. 08 2007,09:53) Nice.  You really dont need to tape the inner line off (I assume you taped b/w the smooth and rough part of the inner lip).  The stripper doesnt mess with that rough center section.
Really? I stripped the lip of my wheels. After seeing a post of another busa with polished wheels (except for the 3 forks and center-line) I wanted to do it to mine the same way. I went out and tried my best to cover the base of the forks as well as the center-line with tape. For the life of me I couldn't get it right.

I'm not sure of this is stronger but I used the airplane paint stripper. Do you think that will strip the center-line/forks if sprayed directly onto it?

Back