Another GPS update... GEESH!!!

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Well, I picked up my THIRD GPS unit within a week's time today. Started out with the Garmin eTrex mainly for it's speed and top speed capabilities. After findin' out it didn't have map downloading capabilities I upgraded to a eTrex Legend after playin' with one that my supervisor has. Thought it was just what I wanted. Then I figure out that to get detailed "residential street address" level information I needed to buy Garmin's mapping software management program, too. I headed out today to find the software which is $99 and tax. While I'm lookin' at the software I see that the GPS V unit I ultimately wanted to end up with was on sale for $330.

Well, shid...
drooling3.gif
If I add the +/- $200 of the eTrex Legend unit and the +/- $100 software together, plus the $30 (and shipping) on the Garmin eTrex mount needed to put 'er on Da' Train I come up with a grand total of $330+. That doesn't include the stem stand or whatever I would need to use WITH the Garmin mount for use on the busa.

So, for the same money, or actually less in the long run (see 12v power cord below), I could get the GPS V which has more internal memory (19mb vs. 8mb), comes bundled with the residential street level map downloading software w/ full unlocking code, has a real antennae rather than an internal "patch" antennae, has an interface that will be MUCH more "gloved rider" friendly, and includes a 12v (cigarette plug) power cord (another $40 for eTrex Legend if it's even an option for that model. Not sure...) and a decent "automotive" mounting base. That was a no brainer...
idea.gif

So, the eTrex Legend is goin' back and I now have what I wanted in the first place but didn't think I could afford. And no, I didn't check prices on the GPS V before buyin'. Last time I did check the GPS V, or III or whatever version it was then was over $500. It's been a while, ok?
rock.gif

This has to be the least informed, most impulsive purchase I've EVER made.
blush.gif
Maybe I can save someone else the hassle of goin' through every base model Garmin offers (ok, I skipped the eTrex Vista
biggrin.gif
) only to end up with a good one that fits their needs at a better bargain than the lesser model.
drooling3.gif

Just find THIS one on sale and get it.
wink.gif

gpsv.jpg

drooling3.gif

You're funny bro ... there was nothing wrong with the units you tried, it was your preferences that changed each time ... do I hear color and voice next??
smile.gif

jump9.gif
Dude, From now on. You let the ole' revster tell ya what the hell you need to be spending your hard earned money on OK? I wont stear you wrong and just think of all the hassles you'll avoid.
laugh.gif

Rev...

Oh BTW BT, My Stemstand etc. is enroute. Hopefully this weekend I'll have the deed done. I am thinking of trying to find a durable but inexpensive rifle case to ship the parts in. I figure that way you can just load yours in the case when mine arrive and return the package. Simple. Oh, did you come up with an answer regarding Front axles going along with the forks? Makes a difference or not? I dunno... But I'll keep you posted. Have fun with the GPS and thanks for the breakdown of your shopping experiance... It'll help me out here in a couple of weeks...

Rev

You're funny bro ... there was nothing wrong with the units you tried, it was your preferences that changed each time ... do I hear color and voice next??
smile.gif
Oh that's cold blooded....

Yeah uh BT, you know they come in color as well right? With sexy voices even?

Damn, BT! Make up your mind already! You know we all hang by the decisions that you make! Now I have to make sure my order hasn't shipped and trade up! He, he! Hope it works out for 'ya, bro!
biggrin.gif

man, I see someone upgrading again....getting the III deluxe with voice and color
laugh.gif

is there any monthly service fee
to get this thing to work? (network access fees)
Nope, just the cost of the unit and software if it's not bundled with the one you buy. The gov't pays for the GPS sattlelites and system. The GPS units just receive the signals the gov't sends out for themselves and processes 'em for ya. No monthly fees, yet...
wink.gif

hey Rev, hope those Akra cans are treating you right.

I wanted to ask where you got your stem stand? I have the Garmin GPSMAP 60C, color 56k and all the goodies but I need a stem stand like NOW. Let me know where you got yours from please.

smile.gif
You're right. Nothin' "wrong" with 'em. The standard eTrex was too basic, but it was not defective, or anything less than Garmin claims it to be. The Legend is a nice unit, but ends up costin' ya more in the long run than the more advanced GPS V by the time you buy all the accessories and software to get the most out of the Legend.

I could have lived with the Legend and been happy but couldn't see doin' that for the same money (actually less in the end) as the higher end unit.

And no, you don't hear another upgrade for me anytime soon. The GPS V (actually it's predecessors) is the one I've wanted for a LONG time. As long as it doesn't crap out on me, this thing should do me for a LONG time. The only thing I really wish it had was MORE internal memory space. I haven't maxed it out yet and may never do so. It's just that memory space is the only thing I see myself "bumpin' my head" on with this unit for my purposes.
wink.gif

It actually looks like I may be able to include any areas I may likely travel to on the busa without worry of hittin' the 19mb limit. A lot of the areas that are popular bike routes in Georgia don't really have much street level detail. It's mostly highways. Those areas don't take up very much memory.
wink.gif

wink.gif

jump9.gif
Dude, From now on. You let the ole' revster tell ya what the hell you need to be spending your hard earned money on OK? I wont stear you wrong and just think of all the hassles you'll avoid.
laugh.gif

Rev...

Oh BTW BT, My Stemstand etc. is enroute. Hopefully this weekend I'll have the deed done. I am thinking of trying to find a durable but inexpensive rifle case to ship the parts in. I figure that way you can just load yours in the case when mine arrive and return the package. Simple. Oh, did you come up with an answer regarding Front axles going along with the forks? Makes a difference or not? I dunno... But I'll keep you posted. Have fun with the GPS and thanks for the breakdown of your shopping experiance... It'll help me out here in a couple of weeks...

Rev
Yeah, in this case I'm the Bizarro-Rev... You OVER shop and this time I grossly UNDER shopped.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Damn, BT! Make up your mind already! You know we all hang by the decisions that you make! Now I have to make sure my order hasn't shipped and trade up! He, he! Hope it works out for 'ya, bro!
biggrin.gif
LOL...
biggrin.gif
Yeah, I'm set now. Order your GPS V and rest assured that until this one wears out or breaks yer golden.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I wanted to ask where you got your stem stand? I have the Garmin GPSMAP 60C, color 56k and all the goodies but I need a stem stand like NOW. Let me know where you got yours from please.
Rev is referrin' to a front end bike race stand used to lift the bike for front end work via the steering stem, not a stem stand for mountin' devices like GPS. Go to www.stemstand.com for the kind you're talkin' about though.
wink.gif

BT HOW MUCH WAS THE GARMIN ETREX.? I WANT ON FOR TOP SPEED ... DONT CARE ABOUT THE MAPPING.

Rev is referrin' to a front end bike race stand used to lift the bike for front end work via the steering stem, not a stem stand for mountin' devices like GPS. Go to www.stemstand.com for the kind you're talkin' about though.
wink.gif
thanks for the info Train!!!!!

i got a V.. your gonna love it..

unless of course you need the color, and sexy voice.. haha.

BT HOW MUCH WAS THE GARMIN ETREX.? I WANT ON FOR TOP SPEED ... DONT CARE ABOUT THE MAPPING.
It was $79 on sale at the local Best Buy store. I've seen 'em online for around $99. I'm gonna take $80 shipped for mine if you're interested. I'll lose the sales tax I payed and eat the shippin' to whoever buys it. Didn't even eat a set of batteries with it. In fact I don't think the battery meter ever even dropped from full power during my playin' around and learnin' it.

If all you want is speed info the eTrex would be fine. It would also be fine for campin', huntin, hikin', and most any other off road activity as long as you don't want/need mappin'.
wink.gif

i got a V.. your gonna love it..

unless of course you need the color, and sexy voice.. haha.
Yeah, I'm excited about the V. Should have just checked on one of these to begin with. Could have saved some time and a little $.

No need for more voices... My head has enough of 'em in it as it is.
wink.gif

Back