Any painters out there?

Wnt2whls

Registered
I am looking to do my own paint job but not sure exactly what I need. These pics and info are from
So I'm thinking the paints I'll need are:
Base: Black Violet Pearl
Color: Kandy Cobalt Blue
Flames: Gold and White Pearl
Clear: ?
Does this color scheme sound right? Any changes you would make? And about how much of each should I need (entire bike + lid + F ups)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I changed my mind about the flames. What I want is to paint my entire bike that blue color (not the lighter color flames). So i figure I'll need (all from HOK):
Chromate Free Kwikure Epoxy Primer
Sealer
Black Violet Pearl Base
Kandy Cobalt Blue
Clear coat

Is this the only supplies that I will need (aside from tools)? Or is there some unnessary stuff in the list? And approximately how much of each paint will i need (volume wise) to paint my entire bike, helmet, and little extra to practice and mess up?

Primer=are u repairing damage? if not theres no need to prime unless you totally stripped the paint to bare plastic if so about 1-2 quarts sprayable(materials combined-ect.part a = part b.
Black violet pearl- 1 quart unreduced
Kandy blue= 1 quart unreduced
clear = usually comes in a gallon-get the full gallon
sealer=1 quart
Remember to get the required amount of reducers and catalist(hardener)for the type of product you are using...clear...kandy....bases....sealer. And the right temperature reducers....fast....slow.
Other supplies= mixing sticks,rubber gloves, tac rags, pre cleaners(wax and grease remover, and I use spray away glass cleaner right before i spray), strainers. Ratio stick. Mask.

I paint, too, and I've gotta say that goin' with a candy job for your first paint job may not be such a great idea. It takes some painting experience to make candy right. You can end up with some pieces not matchin' others, blotchy dark & light spots, etc... You are gonna be spendin' a fair amount on materials goin' with HOK. It'd suck to ruin it and have to rebuy everything to redo it. I have to recommend gettin' an experienced painter to do it if you go candy unless you don't mind screwin' it up and redoin' it. Just a suggestion...

I paint, too, and I've gotta say that goin' with a candy job for your first paint job may not be such a great idea. It takes some painting experience to make candy right. You can end up with some pieces not matchin' others, blotchy dark & light spots, etc... You are gonna be spendin' a fair amount on materials goin' with HOK. It'd suck to ruin it and have to rebuy everything to redo it. I have to recommend gettin' an experienced painter to do it if you go candy unless you don't mind screwin' it up and redoin' it. Just a suggestion...
I agree..Candy paint is one of the most difficult process in painting. HOK makes cany basecoats that resemble the true candy coat. Not as nice but will be eaiser to spray. Its a two stage rather than 3. The guy next door tried to do a candy job on his truck....i told him I would spray it because i use candies on a regular basis, but he wanted to do it....now its all fucked up, and he has painting experience. Also with the candy basecoats it will be a lot eaiser to fix if you screw it up. If you want I'll send you a technical book for HOK. It will give you the correct way to spray their product. I exclusivly use house of kolor at our shop, so if you have any other questions when you are ready to paint feel free to email.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am still in the deciding stages so nothings final yet. I just happen to see that color and liked it a lot. I may start with something simpler since thats the case.

Back