Any professional mechanics that work for a dealer (diesel preferred)

TallTom

Registered
So as usual I find that I can probably get help here better than lots of places. I need to see if we have any dealer service mechanics in here, and any diesel mechanics if they are paid differently.

Background: I have a dude and his wife that owe my over 15K. I have a court judgment against them for it from 2 years ago. In that process the courts require they provide employer info as well as salary. At that time the husband testified that he worked for Penske trucks as a mechanic. Wife worked for a mortgage co. Post judgement garnishment began. Between the time of judgment and beginning of garnishment husband claimed he lost his job. Wife paid garnishment until Covid. Claiming she lost her job from it. Last March I pulled thier 4506T from the IRS to see their status. She was back working, and he claimed income from a tree service. I hired a private investigator. She is back working as she claimed. He is going to work. Not at a tree service but at a Ford dealership by the PI's report. So I had them re-served a debtors examination action. They met with my attorney. She admits to working again and he states he works at a dealership as a diesel mechanic but says he is commission only and therefore cannot by levied a set amount as he makes varying amounts month to month. In other words we can't garnish on a non salary income. He knows the laws. They usually do.

I believe this a lie. However my attorney says that he cannot charge them with perjury without proof of it. It is sworn testimony and he is bound by that without court hearing arguments. If I can provide evidence of perjury he will file for it. And that will be additional to the garnishment penalty.

However I as the original creditor can approach the debtors on my own to negotiate terms outside of court. I am not bound by FDCP if they enter into an agreement outside the courts. We already know we will be granted the resumption of Garnishment so that is a given if I take them back to court. They also know this. But if I bleed them for too much I suspect they declare BK to buy time. I will still get payments, but they will be less and I will have to wait awhile.

So finally now to my question to the mechanics here. Do dealers pay mechanics on commission only? I was a service manager years ago and we paid base salary plus commission on hours saved. Has it moved to commission and no salary now? Is it different for the diesel trade? I intend to and will call the dealership but only to confirm what I hear here. I can call in a roundabout way but I can't bring up a name as that threads some legal needles there. So I was going to confirm what I find out here but I have to do it on the low down like I'm looking for a job etc.

If I find that he is lying, I will give him the opportunity to know that he's committing perjury and will let them decide how much worse things will get in court. Or he can agree to make payments by private agreement and save him further hassle. I can bind that with my attorney and save them court cost and perjury charges.

So can I get an assist by Busa tribe here?

That's quiet a story and sucks I had to fight tooth and nail for wages that's I never received as a company was failing (2 months of no pay empty promises), I'm a dealer diesel mechanic and we are hourly wage and every other job I've had but my side jobs, but it all depends on where or who you work for he might be doing piece work it is possible. Either way he isn't making alot working for Ford or penskie. Automotive dealerships have been hurting since covid (heavy duty diesel is busy though) so I could see them moving away from hourly wage at certain location's. Why don't you call that Ford dealership and ask?

That's quiet a story and sucks I had to fight tooth and nail for wages that's I never received as a company was failing (2 months of no pay empty promises), I'm a dealer diesel mechanic and we are hourly wage and every other job I've had but my side jobs, but it all depends on where or who you work for he might be doing piece work it is possible. Either way he isn't making alot working for Ford or penskie. Automotive dealerships have been hurting since covid (heavy duty diesel is busy though) so I could see them moving away from hourly wage at certain location's. Why don't you call that Ford dealership and ask?
Because I didn't know if the pay structure is universal or if each dealer compensated by geographical necessity.

And yes post Covid may still be in recovery. The fact that he tried to hide working there is suspicious.

The particular dealer he works for is one of the largest in the country and sells like the Top 2 or 3 in the country for HD truck sales.

Last edited:
Why on Earth don't they just get a loan from the bank and pay you out??
What a total PItA.
I worked for dealers here in NZ (I know, different country but just putting in my 2c) for many many years and I've never heard of 'commision only pay', It's always hourly rate here but some dealers pay monthly bonuses on productivity and efficiency.
I hope ya get your money and I hope they get what they deserve too.
You could always just send the local chapter of 'debt collectors' around . . if ya get my drift lol.

What a total PItA.
I worked for dealers here in NZ (I know, different country but just putting in my 2c) for many many years and I've never heard of 'commision only pay', It's always hourly rate here but some dealers pay monthly bonuses on productivity and efficiency.
You could always just send the local chapter of 'debt collectors' around . . if ya get my drift lol.
Because in the type of debt they owe me I get 10% on yearly unpaid balance. If they don't pay it still acrrues.

And a bank won't likely ever loan on parties with debt judgments against them.

They started out owing 13. Paid for 9 months. Screwed around. Interest keeps adding. They owe more now than they started with. Covid didn't exempt the debt. Or interest.

As long as they have income, the state will seize the garnishment for me better than a bank will.

I never have to interact with them.

Because in the type of debt they owe me I get 10% on yearly unpaid balance. If they don't pay it still acrrues.

And a bank won't likely ever loan on parties with debt judgments against them.

They started out owing 13. Paid for 9 months. Screwed around. Interest keeps adding. They owe more now than they started with. Covid didn't exempt the debt. Or interest.

As long as they have income, the state will seize the garnishment for me better than a bank will.

I never have to interact with them.
I know a lot of dealers pay "flat rate" which is a certain percentage of each hour billed. I work with another mechanic at my shop that left a Ford dealer as a diesel mechanic because of the flat rate pay and constantly being screwed in his money so unfortunately id say he's using the loophole to his advantage.

What a total PItA.
Idk about NZ but usually here in the US if someone is to the point they are having garnishments there is usually no way they are able to get a loan. The place i work pays me hourly with a bonus on my hours billed as long as I'm above 85 percent but a lot of the big auto dealers pay their techs on flat rate usually between 30-40% of whatever they charge per hour. It can be profitable if your really fast at your job but when things go bad as you know they easily can with just one broken bolt you can lose out big time.

I don't know if this is of much help but I have child support garnished from my pay and I can still get a mortgage if I want one. I never tried to ask for any other kind of loan though. If it's a loan to pay off a debt, there's nothing for the bank to take possession of if the loan is defaulted on.

Good luck with this TallTom. FCOL, I'm a single teacher and even I could pay 15k over a few years or quicker if I drop a couple expensive habits. Too bad these people don't work with you. I'd hate to live like that.

I don't know if this is of much help but I have child support garnished from my pay and I can still get a mortgage if I want one. I never tried to ask for any other kind of loan though. If it's a loan to pay off a debt, there's nothing for the bank to take possession of if the loan is defaulted on.

Good luck with this TallTom. FCOL, I'm a single teacher and even I could pay 15k over a few years or quicker if I drop a couple expensive habits. Too bad these people don't work with you. I'd hate to live like that.
Yeah I even tried to work with them. They could have resolved at about 9800. You try and let them know it's best to work it out without going to court. So now they are at 15+ and the courts calculate their payments. And it is not a very friendly formula. It's earned salary after taxes minus 30%. The only thing that can take a senior position is state or federal taxes. So I'm the first 30% deduction off each party.

So he and his wife are giving up 30% income because of it.

Garnishment by itself is not a bad word to a bank. Garnishment for irresponsible financial behavior is. They got docked 80 points by the courts recording a judgement against them, which is about to get worse for a non compliance action.

And 65 points by me.

All avoidable. And at 10% APR it's a solid return for me.

Sorry, not sorry.

Back