Anyone ever use Kerosene in pushmower?

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Just curious I'm out of gas and THIS close to being done. I have Kerosene...was wondering if it would work for about 10 minutes worth w/out destroying the engine.

Bad Idea
SHOCKED.gif

no don't do it.  Chances are you will never get it running anyway.  Unlike like gas it doen't vaporize so you will be dumping raw fluid in your engine.  When the piston comes up on the compression stroke you stand the chance of luquid lock and bending your piston rods.  
SHOCKED.gif

Are you serious ?

Heck No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only if you plan to put in a space heater and burn the rest instead of cutting it.

I never would have done it unless I had an overwhelming concensus thta it was okay for a temp .fix.

Guess I'll be borrowing gas from the neighbors - again...LOL.

I think it might work.... but I have no previous information to base it upon.

You won't hydrolock the engine because it'll still be coming through the carbs and be mixed with air... the question is whether it would ignite, and whether it would have enough combustion pressure to turn the engine over...

Kerosene Engines do exist.... so what makes them different? Who knows...

dude step away from the mower and run and get a beer
dont do it
all_coholic.gif

I put a gallon in my S-10 by accident in high school, It made it to the gas station a couple miles away from my girlfriends house. It left a giant mosquito killing, people choking, skywriting trail of white smoke.......it was beautiful.
tounge.gif

PS no damage was done to my 4 banger.

Kerosene is similar in nature to Jet fuel and Diesel. It is combustible but not flammable like gasoline. The flashpoint for it is way, way, way, higher that even 101 race fuel. Your low compression briggs & stratton single would never come close compressing it enough to light the mixture specially if it is undiluted.
The only reason DinoAp managed to drive his vehicle was probably because there was enough gasoline to dilute it into something that could be burned albeit incompletely.
Due to the residual fuel in the lawn mower, that is if it didn't totally run out, you may be able to get it to fire only to start creating billowy clouds of white smoke and then stall out.

Don't try it unless there is enough gas to WAY dilute the kerosene and you are buying a new lawn mower. You will kill the motor. I have seen a person try it once on just kero and the mower wouldn't run at all. Took him a long time to even get it running again when switching back to gas. Had to drain everything, change plug and it ran huge clouds of white smoke for along time. You owuld think after draining the fuel bowl, carb, tank ,etc.. there would nothing left except in the cyclinders maybe but this thing ran white smoke for a good 20 minutes then cleared up and ran great I was told for years to come. Everytime I see a friend of mine I always ask how is so and so's old mower still running. And we laugh and he says yes. It has to be 7-8 years ago at least. but I wouldn't try it. Run up to the gas station and get a 1/2 gallon and fill up the mower and throw the rest in your car when you are done for the winter. Good luck!
beerchug.gif

(Projekt @ Oct. 30 2006,09:06) Kerosene is similar in nature to Jet fuel and Diesel. It is combustible but not flammable like gasoline. The flashpoint for it is way, way, way, higher that even 101 race fuel. Your low compression briggs & stratton single would never come close compressing it enough to light the mixture specially if it is undiluted.
The only reason DinoAp managed to drive his vehicle was probably because there was enough gasoline to dilute it into something that could be burned albeit incompletely.
 Due to the residual fuel in the lawn mower, that is if it didn't totally run out, you may be able to get it to fire only to start creating billowy clouds of white smoke and then stall out.
Exactly right Projekt

Back