ANYONE GOT YOSH CAMS EXPERIENCE?

OB_Dirty Pete

Registered
Cyclestuff has offered me a good price on a set of Yosh Stage One cams for my '99 Busa.

I've done what research I could, but there are no members or other sources with hard dyno numbers that I know of.

KawAbuser's got'em and likes'em. He pulls Hapo in every gear on the street even with a significant weight difference between them. But he hasn't dynoed pre/post and I don't know the mod mix or baseline stock rwhp on either of their two bikes.

Has anyone here got Yosh Stage One in, or know anyone who does, or heard any reliable talk? Anyone got Web cams in?

Even if you don't have first hand info, I'd love to hear about aspects like tuneability, streetability, reliability, etc.

Stage One is pretty mild, no springs needed.

I use the bike for street racing, club racing and track days, one or two trips to the strip per year and commuting. 10,000 miles a season. No touring, just sniping.

I've got the full airbox cut, BMC filter, Akrapovic, sealed ram air (plus clutch mod & 16 tooth.) My hope is that with those cams dropped in this setup will net me 173 - 175 rwhp. Is this realistic?

...whoa, no one but KawAbuser has anything to say? Where is he, anyway? His bike indeed has more omph in the midrange with his mods...when we match rpms gear for gear, his bike is noticably stronger...he has pipes, cam, and some other goodies...

[This message has been edited by Hapo (edited 12 February 2000).]

Pete are you going with pistons also? I have not run the engine but the J&E`s are a good match for stock bore. Don(rotts4u) may can help you with what webs feel like.

No pistons thanks Chris. A point and half of compression would make a big difference (I think that's where the ZX12 is getting some of its jam) but it's a reliability eater isn't it?

Thanks for the contact, I may ask him.

DP sorry I gave you the wrong person to contact...it is turbo Rick...his mail is Rick@Turborick.com he has the smaller webs. I`ve talked to so many people lately that its hard to keep straight who has done what. Don is the one with the nice wheels.

On the subject of pistons...talked to John at J&E...they are making a shelf piston which is 3mm over...said it should be ready any day.Lori at Web said some are using stock springs with thier mild cams. Stock springs are 80 thousandths from coil bind at max lift on intake....you need minimum of 1mm..so 378 lift cam is borderline.

I'm OK with pistons then if reliability's not a big deal. I definitely don't want to bore out though.

Charles what piston will take me up 1.6 or 2 compression points and not smack the valves with the Yosh Stage One in?

I'm sure the guys would like to know, so please reply here and e-mail me prices. I want to order right away so I can get done brfore winter's gone!

(I know...me and a thousand other guys.)

DP, yosh, weisco, and j&e makes what you are looking for. let me know which brand you want and I will let you know the prices for them.

Charles please e-mail me prices for compatible stock bore Yosh pistons and tell me their compression levels if you can. Weisco too.

I've got an e-mail into Steve Perry at Yosh R&D to get whatever dope he has on various cam/piston combos. I'll share anything I find out here. The Yosh site is useless...80% of it is dead, including their catalogue page!

Hey, pistons! This is getting exciting!

There'll be no excuse for not going 9.5s even with lousy technique!

Dp, you wont have to worry about the springs on any cams that your going to use on your bike.

I would check out the mild cam from Web....it should fit your needs well.

Back