Anyone modified the stock mufflers?

Cruising180

Registered
Back when I had my 5th gen VFR and the 6th gens came out people were modifying the stock mufflers to get a better/more sound from them. Aftermarket cans were either not available or way too expensive. Has anyone taken apart the stock cans on a gen 3 to see if they can me modified and or de-catted?

Another question, are the cats in the muffler assembly where they are deleted if you install aftermarket slip ons? Or in the head pipe? If the stock ones can be modified I would love to do that also.

The Gen3 has a catalytic converter on the end of the header, and one in each muffler.
There is a thread here somewhere where a member took the cats out of the mufflers, but I'm not sure of it's title to search for it.
Most all Gen3 aftermarket mufflers and headers do not have cats in them, but check before you buy, as Yoshimura and Akropovic(and possibly others) make certain models that do.

I did find that thread after some more searching and from what he said it was hardly any louder than stock.

You would need to remove the catalyst, and then drill from the tailpipe straight through the mufflers 3 seperate chambers(with of course a long and big diameter drill bit).
I've done that on a few stock mufflers, and that's the only way to get more sound, give the exhaust a straight shot exit through the muffler(s).

Back