Bad vibes

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Hey gang, for about the last 6 months I have been experiencing more vibration in the busa than I used to. But it's hard to tell where it's comin from
rock.gif

Mostly felt in the tank and frame by my knees, I have changed tires and it's still there and it more noticable when on the power. Vibe seems to start about 70 mph in any gear and gets worse as speed increases... I am wondering if it could be in the chain or sprokets? I have about 18K miles on the stock ones but they appear to be in good shape.

Any ideas?

I don't have any real ideas without being there,but when is the last time you had a torque check done on your bike? With that many miles on it bolts tend to loosen a bit.

I would stay off it though until I found the source, that could be pretty dangerous....just my .02.....

Dan

If it happened at the same speed in any gear sounds like it could be the tires are out of balance. If it was engine problems then it should be during a RPM range not speed. The tires are the only thing that rotates (sp?) with speed not RPM. Maybe one of the wheel weights fell off or check the rim see if it got bent or maybe the bearings are starting to go. Just some suggestions and my .02

Check to see if your chain has stretched in any one place more than another, it can give it a vibration.

Check the head bolt on the triple tree also. You can roll the bike forward and lock the front brake to see if there is play in it. I know it needs to be lubricated every so often.

All I can offer is that, if it's hard to figure out, start the process of elimination.
Check everything on the bike if you have to, and eliminate each possibility as you go..
Has worked for me every time!!!

Ok - new spocket & chain is on, vibration is still there.
I am also seeing what i think is too much side to side movement in the rear sprocket mounting drum. Does yours move a little side to side?

orland_009.jpg

i had my tires changed today and while i was there i saw the rubber behind the sproket and the mec told me that if the rubber wears out the sprocket will move side to side and ill feel a vib in the wheel.
i know you said your rubber is good but im just passing on what i was told.

i had my tires changed today and while i was there i saw the rubber behind the sproket and the mec told me that if the rubber wears out the sprocket will move side to side and ill feel a vib in the wheel.
i know you said your rubber is good but im just passing on what i was told.
That will be the next step... I cant imagine what else it is. Ran her up to 140 mph today and could definately feel it thanx for the thoughts guys.
smile.gif

Sounds like the bearing endplay is off. With that many miles on it the cush drive and bearings should probably be renewed. IMO
wink.gif
Check the swing arm to see if there is any endplay (side to side movement) there also.

bearings seem good so i will repack, cush rubber was on 2nd look a little worn and when I pulled the axle sleve the sprocket housing locked up nice ... so it could be the cush rubber. Anyway I ordered today from an add in Cycle World they are about $6 each.

Funny thing I called the largest dealer in Nor Cal today and the parts guy didnt have a clue what I was talkin about and said I would have to come down there to look at the blow up on screen... called two after market ad's from the mag and both guys knew instantly what I was sayin. How come dealers dont speak motorcycle?
rock.gif

UPDATE : I installed new cush drive rubber and vibe persists
mad.gif
Next item is to review all bolts that should be tightened every 6K miles. engine mounts ... this pissin me off, as I keep wondering what it could be and is holding me back from riding hard ... sorta
wink.gif

Hope your able to find it....I've got a vibration that started around my triple tree...only vibrates between 4500 and 5500 rpms.....really pissin me off as well, can't locate it at all.

Anyway, good luck!

Dan

Back