Busa Frame problems

OB_XRacer

Registered
I'm have been reading this site for only a few weeks now, so I hate to repeat questions that have probably been covered 100 times; however..........

The subframe failures - when they occur, is it like most metal fatigue issues where they may crack and sag a bit or does it completely drop down, thus taking a real big risk with a passenger?

I'm picking up my 2000 this Saturday and probably 60% of my riding will be done with a passenger - my wife (not my ex-wife or else I wouldn't be concerned)

Thanks,

johnnycheese, what is your unofficial take on this? Any suggestions besides waiting for my passenger to do a rear dismount?

I don't know what a set of UK givi luggage weighs, but if it less than my wife at 115 pounds, I am very concerned.

I know probably most owners never put anything or anyone on the back. But those of us that do should be more than worried. This is just as, if not more important than the tensioner problem. A life is worth more than a scrapped engine.

This subject demands some serious attention.

My wife is more like 148 pounds... but she does have the weight in all the right places.

Should I be worried or is it like the cam chain tensioner problem where there are hundreds of active members on this site but only a few 99's complaining of a problem ??? (Sorry if I offended anyone, I have a habit of being straight and to the point)

Has anyone been following the 'busa frame collapsing problems that Suzuki is experiencing? I haven't heard too much about it here, but it's been a pretty nasty problem in the UK, for example. One dealer just replaced an owner's bike w/a brand new Blackbird (Honda CBR1100XX) as a goodwill gesture.

It seems to be happening with the touring crowd more than the squidish side. Folks that are overloading the bike with luggage or passengers.

Anyone know more details?

Joe Zulaski

I brought my bike in for a tune-up last week and asked the service guys and the sales guys if they had heard about it, or if they knew of a silent recall. No one knew anything about it. I even brought the article with me to prove it to them and that I wasn't just making it up.

I am politely working this issue with my loca dealer. I will escalate direct to Suzuki if required. Will update as I learn more.

After the fuel filter, cam chain tensioner problems I am watching Suzuki's reponse on this carefully as it will affect my next purchasing decision.

Back