Busa on the track

OB_Big Ed

Registered
Well I just had to try it on the track and boy am I sorry. I just spent the last week up at New Hampshire speedway taking the first three levels of the California Supper Bike School. I was using one of their ZX 600’s for the full three-day stay. About midway threw the second day I just couldn’t resist the temptation of riding the Busa on the track. This was a bad idea. Louden is a tight track, not the home of big bikes with big HP. I went easy for the first four laps. I was really surprised how quick and flickable the Busa felt even in the S turns. On the fifth lap I started to go pretty hard. Intoxicated by the ability to pass the pack in any short strait I became over confidant with the throttle. Going up into turn four, which is an uphill right hand turn, I got to hamfisted. The rear tier began to spin and the back end came out along side of me. Luckily I didn’t chop the throttle, as this would have caused me to high side, instead I low sided. I followed my busa sliding and tumbling up hill. The end result was not pretty. I managed not to get hurt except for the usual body aches that goes with hitting the payment at speed. Unfortunately the Busa came out pretty scraped up. Every single piece of bodywork except for the cowling under the swing arm and the tank is either scraped or broken. Along with the right handle bar, front brake lever, right foot peg and boeth of my Yosh slip-ons. Well it was an expensive lesson. I could kick my self for being so stupid. So if any of you are thinking of taking your busa to the track remember to respect the power in your right hand.

Big Ed, glad you're OK.

I take my Busa on the track all the time; both short technical courses and long fast ones.

With respect, I think your error was to take your Busa on the track so soon after getting used to the capabilities of a (race prepped?) 600.

This is like getting out of a Formula Ford open wheeler after 50 laps then taking your 400 hp Corvette out on the same track.

There is a role for the Busa on the track...especially on long tracks where acceleration can make some difference.

My suggestion is to take your Busa to track schools that are run what you brung.

But whatever you do, don't keep your Busa off the track because of your crash...the Busa belongs there.

Big Ed,
It broke my heart to see your Busa in the hay
bales,esp. since you were nice enough to
to tell me I could take it for a ride. Just
glad you didnt get hurt....
Pete, those Kawa 600's were very stock,it
was a cold! day and the tires were not
sticking real well.

[This message has been edited by Konrad (edited 09 October 1999).]

Don't feel to bad, the Busa may not be *the bike* for NHIS. Rad Greaves crashed his #70 Busa on the first lap of the F-Xtreme race in June at turn 11. The Busa's long wheelbase is not helping on such a tight track.

Next time in that neck of the woods try Rt118 in NH and then go over to Rt113 starting North in NH and ending South in NH(113 funs the Maine and NH border). Watch out for Moose at dusk.

Kaw A,
One of our nurses driving on 113 just past
Brownfield hit a moose in her Caddy...
Took the poor womans head off...

Big Ed,
Doesn't seem to work, only see all your (empty) albums.
Was able to get pic there myself of what I wanna do with the fairing on mine to make it a half-naked Busa (had to use another name for global ezboard user, BiggerOne), so maybe you can have a look and see if your leftovers might be useful for me?

Back