Buying 06' busa: what mods are necessary...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
I'll be buying a new 06' Busa next month.  Likely the Cranberry/Black color combo...still debating the white/silver LE.  It looked great on-line but not as impressive in the showroom (too much silver).  My wife told me the white looked, well let's say, soft for a guy to be riding a bike like that.  Not exactly the attitude I'm trying to portray (if any) when riding down the bouleverd.  But, too each his/her own.

Anyway, I have seen many of the first steps to take after getting your Busa including removing reflectors, dremmel tool the kickstand, new chain, slip-ons, fender eliminator, fairing sliders, heli bars and on and on.

What I need to know from drawing on everyone's expertise on this board is:
1.) What changes/mods are a necessity for simply making it better/safer/efficient to ride the bike?  In other words, those that need to be done ASAP.
2.) What changes/mods for looks (fender eliminator, slip-ons) would you recommend completing by prioity or rank?

I greatly appreciate input from those that know.

Also, I'm looking at Arai helmets (damn they're expensive) over Shoei so far. Any input regarding helmets (the most important accessory) would be appreciated a swell.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139729248 -->

nothing is really necessary except trim the mud flap remove warning stickers and some say kickstand mod take some time on the other mods find wich ones you like the best if there is a question about it feel free to ask
smile.gif

nothing is really necessary except trim the mud flap remove warning stickers  and some say kickstand mod  take some time on the other mods find wich ones you like the best if there is a question about it feel free to ask
smile.gif
For example, I've seen some posters stating to chuck the stock chain for a new one. Basically stating that the stock chain is junk.

Are there any OEM parts that should be replaced w/ better replacement parts right away after purchasing?

just bought a maroon/black 06 a month ago myself. my opinion is start small and work your way deep into your wallet. remove reflectors and decals, kickstand mod for sure, faring screens, and sliders. all of this is inexpensive and do it yourself mods. then stand back look at it and go from there. i just put on stage 2 wheels and having the inner farings painted by race ready also tobin will be doing my seat next week. saving the under tail for later. i also installed risers and helibars for comfort not really a mod. a stock busa is only a starter kit.
buy the bike and enjoy it safely. buy the way i agree with your wife on the 06 le.

just bought a maroon/black 06 a month ago myself. my opinion is start small and work your way deep into your wallet.  remove reflectors and decals, kickstand mod for sure, faring screens, and sliders.  all of this is inexpensive and do it yourself mods.  then stand back look at it and go from there. i just put on stage 2 wheels and having the inner farings painted by race ready also tobin will be doing my seat next week.  saving the under tail for later.  i also installed risers and helibars for comfort not really a mod.  a stock busa is only a starter kit.  
buy the bike and enjoy it safely.  buy the way i agree with your wife on the 06 le.
Are heli bars and/or risers simply needed for those who have shorter or medium length arms or is it an overall comfort/control thing? I'm about 6'3", 225 lbs. and have long arms.
However, I've already seen that I will need to replace the stock shield w/ double bubble shield or the like due to cutting my view of the guages in half.

nothing is really necessary except trim the mud flap remove warning stickers  and some say kickstand mod  take some time on the other mods find wich ones you like the best if there is a question about it feel free to ask
smile.gif
For example, I've seen some posters stating to chuck the stock chain for a new one.  Basically stating that the stock chain is junk.

Are there any OEM parts that should be replaced w/ better replacement parts right away after purchasing?
a lot of folks her are still running the stock chain with many miles on it good maintenance is the first thing ya want to learn. the hayabusa is a performance platform from the start spend a lot of time looking at pics decide if you want to do performance mods first or eye candy. i would suggest lots of saddle time before ya decide

smile.gif
For example, I've seen some posters stating to chuck the stock chain for a new one.  Basically stating that the stock chain is junk.

Replace the junk stator cover!!!!

It is pot-metal-tin garbage.  
guns.gif
stock stator tin

www.woodcraft-cfm.com

With removable puck, if you are unfortunate enough to go down on the left you will protect your stator and crank. Nuf said, believe me!

What mods are 'necessary'?

That thought occurred to to me, having an eight day old LE, but then I thought, I already have a Hayabusa...I did put a nice little black half bra on but the stickers are still on and the reflectors will probably stay on. Turns out that my long arms (36" sleeves) fit well for the stock bar position. They're more like clip-ons than bars but they seem to fit me well. I also use grip wraps for a little more palm cushion on the hardish stock grips. Hell, I'm still on my honeymoon. Don't have quite a thousand miles on her yet!

What mods are 'necessary'?

That thought occurred to to me, having an eight day old LE, but then I thought, I already have a Hayabusa...I did put a nice little black half bra on but the stickers are still on and the reflectors will probably stay on.  Turns out that my long arms (36" sleeves) fit well for the stock bar position.  They're more like clip-ons than bars but they seem to fit me well.  I also use grip wraps for a little more palm cushion on the hardish stock grips.  Hell, I'm still on my honeymoon.  Don't have quite a thousand miles on her yet!
Looks like I'll be bringing up the rear then. BTW, not knocking the 06' LE colors. I wanted it as well, but "for me" it just didn't hold up in person compared to the maroon/black. I think a solid pearl metallic white would have done it for me.

Glad to read you have 35-36" arm length as well and the height of the handles have "yet" to cause any discomfort (as long as you got some muscle up there).

Again, I just recall seeing changes/mods that will make the bike safer and run better (not necessarily faster).

I'll be buying a new 06' Busa next month.  Likely the Cranberry/Black color combo...still debating the white/silver LE.  It looked great on-line but not as impressive in the showroom (too much silver).  My wife told me the white looked, well let's say, soft for a guy to be riding a bike like that.  Not exactly the attitude I'm trying to portray (if any) when riding down the bouleverd.  But, too each his/her own.

Anyway, I have seen many of the first steps to take after getting your Busa including removing reflectors, dremmel tool the kickstand, new chain, slip-ons, fender eliminator, fairing sliders, heli bars and on and on.

What I need to know from drawing on everyone's expertise on this board is:
1.) What changes/mods are a necessity for simply making it better/safer/efficient to ride the bike?  In other words, those that need to be done ASAP.
2.) What changes/mods for looks (fender eliminator, slip-ons) would you recommend completing by prioity or rank?

I greatly appreciate input from those that know.
It's a pretty safe (depending on your state of mind, of course) and efficient bike straight from the dealer. Don't be in too much of a rush - ride the bike stock for a while + figure out what you really need. See how you feel with the stock bar height before plunking down coin for Heli-Bars.

If you really wanna do something to your new baby, do the kickstand mod + HID headlamp mod. Maybe some Hyper-Lites (small LED flashers that flash during braking) to warn the cager on the cell-phone behind you that you're slowing down.

btw, the stock chain will last you if you treat it right - no need to waste $$ replacing a perfectly good brand new chain....

Thanks for the info. everyone. Would still like to hear from others. I'm a sponge for beneficial advice and information.

Absolute necessary mods? There are none. Good things to do: kickstand mod, reflector/sticker removal, trim mudflap. After that, since you are tall you will probably want to replace the stock windscreen with a double bubble screen. Then it's all a matter of what you have planned for the bike.

you'll get a different opinion from everybody on that. I followed a routine of heat-cycling and high-rev runs that falls more on the hard break-in side of things without being completely extreme (which is hard to do in populated areas or without a dyno).

what i did, right after getting home from the dealer (This involves some high-speed runs - it goes without saying that you should do the throttle runs on open road away from traffic and cops. You won't be topping out the bike by any means - but it's a Busa - you don't redline this thing without gaining some velocity - that's the point, innit?)

first off, get a new oil filter, new oil (not synthetic) and a oil filter wrench - you'll change out the oil + filter after this routine.

1/ Start the engine, put her in neutral, and vary the rpms between 1500 - 3000. Once the bike is at operating temp, shut down and let cool completely.

2/ Repeat # 1.

3/ Warm up the bike and go out to ride. Vary your engine speeds (DO NOT cruise the highway + lug along at a steady RPM for an extended period of time). When you get some open road, do a 1/2 to 3/4 throttle run, getting the RPMs up to 4500 - 6000, then back off the throttle letting the engine de-accelerate in about the same amount of time that it took to accelerate.

4/ Ride around normally a while, again - varying the rpms as you go.

5/ Do another throttle run, taking the bike up to 8000rpm, and again de-accellerating the engine as gradually as you took it up. Note that you can do these runs in 2nd or 3rd gear if you want so you don't achieve terminal velocity...

6/ Repeat #4 + #5.

7/ Repeat #4 + 5 again about 3 or 4 times, but start your accelleration runs at about 4000 and run the bike up to about 9500rpm.

8/ Repeat #4 + #5 again about 3 - 4 more times, starting acceleration at about 4000 and taking the bike completely to redline. Cool-close the throttle and let engine braking gradually slow the bike down. Ride the bike normally and let it cool down a bit between runs.

9/ Once you get home, dump + replace the engine oil (don't go synthetic yet) and change the filter. You're broken in.

This worked out well for me - I've got about 10K miles on my 05, and my mechanic says the engine is running just about as perfectly as he could expect. This routine sounds a bit intimidating - I wasn't sure about redlining the thing so soon, but it wasn't really that hard to do - just be safe about it. Good luck!

Used in conjunction w/ sliders I presume.
I'll tell ya,,, and some may disagree,,, but I am NOT a fan of frame sliders.

They are certainlly not favoured at the track for the simple reason that if and when you go down they have more propensity to hook and flip then to slide!

Hey, they're great, if in your moment of glory, you knock the damn thing over, but if you go down the part that is vulnerable is that damn chintzy stator cover and its interior parts.

Just my .02c

What's wrong with the OEM stator cover?
rock.gif

Just don't crash...
tounge.gif
If you are planning to crash, there are a lot more mods you need to do. May as well install the new Goldwing Airbag mod....
laugh.gif
j/k

It really depends what you have planned for the bike.  Are you racing, touring or just riding around?  

My opinion for racing and riding mods are:

1) Trim flap, stickers, reflectors, etc....the FREE mods.
wink.gif

2) Stainless Steel brake lines
3) PC-IIIR
4) JC GPS Mod (Removes 6th restriction.....DO NOT BUY A TRE!)
wink.gif

5) HID kit
6) All the BDE (www.brockracing.com) tricks...

If you plan to go TURBO then replace 6 with:

7) EK ZZZ chain
8) Steel sprockets (18/40 or 19/40)
9) Motorhead GHETTO TURBO kit...
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139748152 -->

wink.gif

Back