Buying Hayabusa in Vietnam but knowing nothing about Hayabusa

Ravenrave

Registered
Hello everyone, I've been a long admirer of Hayabusa, i always watch from far but now i want to buy one. Because I'm a woman in Vietnam, advice has been fraudulent, I nearly got scammed the last time I tried to purchase Hayabusa.

Here's a video of the busa for sale
this is the only one i can afford and what kind of costs should i expect from restoring it?

I apologize for my English, I'm new to English also but please be patient with me, I've driven r6 before and selling it for this so I can't afford to get scammed.

Not sure what to tell you about the bike. But listening to them talk brought back some 50 year old memories...

what kind of costs should i expect from restoring it?
Welcome to the site! Sorry, but I would not buy this one.
The way this man "rides" it makes me believe that you will instantly need to replace the clutch.
I also see incorrect bolts, mismatched plastic, mismatched levers, missing bolts, inside of tank looks bad (based on that very quick view of it), oil cap is destroyed, rear brake reservoir is not in the correct position, front brake master cylinder is different than OEM, ignition cylinder/where you put in the key looks totally useless, and then starting issues at 7:00 minutes.

My opinion is that this looks and sounds like a Hayabusa, but it will need a lot of time/money to restore. Unless it is a great deal and parts are easily available in your country, I would not trust this to ride from one end of town to the other.
Your English was great!
thumbsup[1].gif

Welcome to the site! Sorry, but I would not buy this one.
The way this man "rides" it makes me believe that you will instantly need to replace the clutch.
I also see incorrect bolts, mismatched plastic, mismatched levers, missing bolts, inside of tank looks bad (based on that very quick view of it), oil cap is destroyed, rear brake reservoir is not in the correct position, front brake master cylinder is different than OEM, ignition cylinder/where you put in the key looks totally useless, and then starting issues at 7:00 minutes.

My opinion is that this looks and sounds like a Hayabusa, but it will need a lot of time/money to restore. Unless it is a great deal and parts are easily available in your country, I would not trust this to ride from one end of town to the other.
Your English was great!View attachment 1626873
Thank you so much for your answer. The price is 3200usd. I still have 1000usd more if I buy it. Hayabusa is very rare and there are no parts for it locally, only import (heavy fees). I'm afraid if I don't buy it I will not see one for sale in a long time. Maybe my only choice is to restore one due to my market. I've only seen 3 Hayabusas in my lifetime, I've been fascinated by the bike since long time.

I'm not really wealthy so I don't know how much it would take to make one good, I was thinking if it's bad I'd buy it and restore it little by little.

The gas tank is extremely rusty, I did look inside and it was completely rusted, sometimes it also doesn't start. From what he said the gear slides? I think he meant it fails to switch gears sometimes.

Is it difficult to restore Hayabusa? I'm passionate so I would put my entire income into it, it's my dream after all. But I can only save 100 usd monthly.

Thank you, I learned English from reading about bikes, I never talked to non-Vietnamese before.

Hello everyone, I've been a long admirer of Hayabusa, i always watch from far but now i want to buy one. Because I'm a woman in Vietnam, advice has been fraudulent, I nearly got scammed the last time I tried to purchase Hayabusa.

this is the only one i can afford and what kind of costs should i expect from restoring it?

I apologize for my English, I'm new to English also but please be patient with me, I've driven r6 before and selling it for this so I can't afford to get scammed.
Have you had the chance to ride a Hayabusa?

Haha, no he thinks I will run away with it. I have to give him a deposit to ride it. I was thinking of doing that tomorrow.
You really need to ride one before you buy one. The seat on a Hayabusa is fairly high. And they are a heavy bike. Make sure it's a good fit for you before you spend your money...

They are not difficult to restore and you may be able to make it reliable for fairly cheap...the issue is the ability to buy or order parts.

The gear problem is either the clutch or the transmission. The clutch is easy to replace, but the transmission will require removing the engine. A clutch pack costs 200usd, but a transmission is 200-800usd in addition to the time it takes to remove the motor.
You might be able to clean the gas tank and replace fuel pump/filter assembly to get the bike running well. However, it would be a gamble...but it is your dream and I'm just one guy telling you an opinion from 15,000 miles away :p

Last edited:
Howdy, that bike has had some very hard miles on it...it will need a total fuel system rebuild judging by the way it is starting, most likely the fuel filter and injectors are gummed up if the inside of the tank is so rusty.

You can run into a money pit very quickly especially of there are few Hayabusas or decent service techs where you are. I'd hate to see your dream turn into a nightmare.

You can run into a money pit very quickly...I'd hate to see your dream turn into a nightmare.
100% agree with this. I had this happen to my first bike, a 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000. What started out as a dream come true, quickly turned into a broken motorcycle that I spent more time fixing than riding...Although it is a rare motorcycle in your area, I would not waste 30+ months worth of savings for a broken motorcycle you cannot get the parts to fix. If it was in better shape, I would be more positive about it.

Welcome! Glad you have a joy for riding and the Hayabusa. I can only imagine what it would be like to be so close to what you want and not be able to get it. That bike has several things that would need to be fixed that could be very costly. The decision to purchase is yours and any real advice I would give would come from a position of great access to the other choices and parts.

Welcome! Glad you have a joy for riding and the Hayabusa. I can only imagine what it would be like to be so close to what you want and not be able to get it. That bike has several things that would need to be fixed that could be very costly. The decision to purchase is yours and any real advice I would give would come from a position of great access to the other choices and parts.
Yeah it is really going to be a sinkhole of money that I can't afford right now. I finally found one for sale but it's in such a desolate state, it's sad to hear Hayabusa fail to start to begin with. I'm probably going to improve my savings to import one, I don't want to give up after only one failed attempt. Below 8000k usd is not taxed as wealth tax so if i can find better in Japan I can probably import but it would take a year of savings if I sell everything I own right now. Maybe waiting is for the best. My first 50cc was an import so I'm a little familiar with the process.

Thanks to all for advice! I was going to buy it as soon as it hits 8am. (its 5:45am) I felt impulsive and couldn't bother to think about risk on my own, however having experienced people tell me their opinion about this one Hayabusa made me abstain from buying it. I only have one shot, 3200usd could set me back years into savings. Having to say no now will give me a second shot and maybe one will pop up in the market that's in better shape.

Thank you again! You guys seem very knowledgeable about bikes, I hope to get my own one day.

I only have one shot, 3200usd could set me back years into savings.
Yep, that alone tells me you are definitely making the correct choice to pass on this bike. You have saved up and looked around this long already, give it some more time. They may be rare, but not impossible to find :)

Hi. Your English is number 1 my Vietnamese is number 10. I was there in 1966. It k\looks in bad shape and that is a lot of money for it. I would say $1,000 for it. Who fixed your R6? I payed $2500. for mine 4 years ago I have spent $60,000 on it so far and another $35,00 to go. You should ride one before you buy one.

Back