Cam tensioner location removal info needed again!

Went to Suzuki dealer in Santa Clara to order the cam chain tensioner and the parts desk guy did not know which one to order,there's three items to support/help the cam chain,the two on the side and one on the top.I was told by the parts guy that it was the one that is closest to the seat/rear that needs replacement. I went to the service department and was told the same thing. I talked to another service guy and he said he thinks it's the block on the top,the smaller of the three items. I also talked to the TWO Brother's so-pose main tech/engineer at Laguna Seca this week end and he told me he think its the bulk unit that is on the right rear area of the engine. Can some one give me the real location and which block to change.Need information fast since my bike is making more noise since coming back from Laguna Seca. Thanks all

The cam chain tensioner is the circular protrusion on the top right rear of the engine, held in with 2 bolts (just below throttle linkage). There is a bolt in the end of the circular protrusion. (it should have three (3) pink dots on the flange that butts up to the engine.)

Inside the cam cover is a top plastic cover over the cam chain, and a side runner that the tensioner acts on to effectively tension the cam chain by pushing on it uniformly along one side. this is hinged at the bottom of the engine near the crank.

the bit to change is the metal protrusion from the back of the engine block. You do not need to open engine to do it.

As far as changing it, isn't it just the spring inside the tensioner unit that needs fixing?

I'm going to go Manual tensioner I think

This is all starting to rear its ugly head again........

Nuts

[This message has been edited by NumbNuts (edited 10 July 2000).]

Blocks that chain slides along don't normally need replacing, it's only the tensioner on the rear that pushes against ONE of those blocks that's the most dreaded Busa engine part!
Can look-up the number for you at home in a couple of hours time.

Spring is not a part that can be had separately so whole unit has to be replaced (again).

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 10 July 2000).]

Thanks for the reply and the TWO Brothers Tech/engineer was right,Thanks again Two brothers for showing me the chain tenioner unit and to all the Suzuki Techs in Santa Clara you need to go to Tech/Repair school. I'm worried if you have to work on customer bikes. Thanks again to the board.

Suzuki calles the slipper arms Cam Chain Tensioners.
That is what the confusion is I ran into the same thing.
Next time go in to the parts department and look at the fiche

Back