Can you outride Kevin Schwantz?

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
Just to get a perspective on how fast future MotoGP riders are when they're coming up through the ranks-this was in an article on the Red Bull Rookies Cup riders, who are just around puberty age and ride 125cc machines...
eek2.gif

I know Kevin is in his 40's, but he still rides on racetracks on an almost daily basis-

"Schwantz is already helping to develop even younger North and South American talent at present and said of his Red Bull AMA U.S. Rookies Cup coaching work, `My experience with the Rookies so far has been outstanding, with the selection process, the tests we´ve done and at the first round at Barber Motorsports Park. They are really, really good kids. Some of them don´t have a great deal of road-racing experience, but all of them are listening and trying to learn as much as they can.´

`From a rider´s viewpoint I think that when I rode with them at Laguna there were probably six or eight riders who were faster than me. Now there are probably only six or eight guys that I can stay in front of. They are young kids, they are developing really quickly and I think we´ve got a really, really good group.´"

Damn!!!
SHOCKED.gif

Nah, i'm still faster. I'll just run them off the track....
firedevil.gif

I remember reading a mag (SSB I think), and there was a 14 year old girl on a zx 636, and was running with known racers. They had pic.'s of her dragging a knee.....man was I jealous !!!!

Those kids in the Red Bull rookies cup ARE the future of roadracing. Too bad they didnt run at Fontana this weekend b/c that's the only race I would've cared about. I used to pit next to Benny Solis and his dad during my trackdays. that kid could outride almost anyone and was doing laptimes in the high 1: 29 range at Willow. that's fast for a 125!  
bowdown.gif

firedevil.gif

zzwhip.gif
AM -->
gtrpimp76 @ Apr. 28 2008 said:
1391892[/ATTACH] AM]
Those kids in the Red Bull rookies cup ARE the future of roadracing. Too bad they didnt run at Fontana this weekend b/c that's the only race I would've cared about. I used to pit next to Benny Solis and his dad during my trackdays. that kid could outride almost anyone and was doing laptimes in the high 1: 29 range at Willow. that's fast for a 125!  
bowdown.gif

firedevil.gif

super.gif
on a 125? Wow...

I remember reading that the absolute lap record at Willow around 1980 was 1
super.gif
by Randy Mamola on a 500 GP bike.

Blue1

zzwhip.gif

super.gif

Those kids in the Red Bull rookies cup ARE the future of roadracing. Too bad they didnt run at Fontana this weekend b/c that's the only race I would've cared about. I used to pit next to Benny Solis and his dad during my trackdays. that kid could outride almost anyone and was doing laptimes in the high 1: 29 range at Willow. that's fast for a 125!  :bowdown:  :devil:

1:29 on a 125?  Wow...

I remember reading that the absolute lap record at Willow around 1980 was 1:29 by Randy Mamola on a 500 GP bike.

Blue1
Yup.

However, Steve Rapp set the all time lap record: 1:19:xx. I think that was on a 600.
Jeremy Toye, winner of the previous two Toyota 200's and frequent winner of the wsmc premier class-Formula 1, typically laps in the 21's, on a highly modified superbike style Gixxer1K.

Back