changing oil advice

wardie

Donating Member
Registered
I am getting my 2001 Busa ready for Daytona (I'm riding it down) and I wanted to change the oil. What steps are necessary. Do I have to remove any of the fairings. Some advice please and make it easy on me. I've only had the bike a month so there's alot to get up to speed on.

always makes it easier to remove throttle side faring. I also get some strong foil & cover the header pipes below the filter & kinda make a spout in a space between one of the pipes so when ya take filter off any oil that leaks out won't smoke when the pipes heat up again
Posted via Mobile Device

make sure you do not over tighten the drain plug when reinstalling you will strip it out easily. Torque to spec.

double check the crush washer as well. Many change theirs everytime...I still have the stock one on..prolly change this next time.

If you change oil and filter...just plug all 4 quarts in there...it will be ok.

If you want to make it real easy to get the oil filter out...you can unbolt the oil line, but it is not necesarry...you just have to wiggle to get it past the exhaust and line.

It is easy to fit a drain pan under the bike if it is on stands.

While you have the right fairing off go ahead and check the idle.:thumbsup:

removing the right fairing is not necessary.
remove the lower screws, the filter will slip between the fairing and the far right side header pipe.
there's enough play to carefully stretch the lower part out enough to get the filter by

It's easier to get your hands or tools on the oil filter if you completely remove the fairing ( you don't have to but its a lot easier ). Also take care when you put the fairing back on so you don't scratch the front cowling. I have over 100,000 miles on two busa's and have done ALL my own oil changes.

Make sure you check that the o ring on the old filter came off with the filter and it's not stuck on the block. Lubricate the new o ring before installing the new filter. Tighten two full turns once the filter makes contact with the block. Check for leaks before putting fairing back on.:thumbsup:

They've pretty well covered it. I completely remove the fairing because it's just to easy on the Gen I and might prevent me from busting it and it makes it much easier. If you have a stand I found that the filter drip runs between the header tubes. The foil is a good idea. Never had a lot of problems getting the filter out. I drain my oil completely when the bikes hot to get a good drain. While it's draining I crack and loosen the filter. Go inside until the next commercial or page :laugh: and then spin the filter off. Oh and it works better of you replace the drain plug before adding those four quarts. :whistle:

I replace the filter and the crush washer every time, torque to spec every time and I just let the pipes smoke for a bit. I'm always moving fast enough I never see the smoke.

:D :laugh: :D

--Wag--

Back