chipping of paint

OB_VegasDude

Registered
I know we all go through this. The minor chipping of paint on front fender and front of fairing. Is there any secrets to prevent this from happening. I know of touch - up paint and i am going to order some. There has to be someone that has figured out how to minimize this problem, I hope.

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 04 September 1999).]

Prayer...

Seriously, there's not much other you can do. 1st day out on my new TLR, and a rock hit my helmet, then the top of the tank. Heck of a chip. I ordered the matching paint, and carefully filled the spot with the paint pen. When it has cured, I used water and some 2000 grit finese paper, then Semi-Chrome to bring the luster back. It would take a magnifying glass to see it now, but it really REALLY looked awful to me (though my wife said "that little nick?") She'll never understand.

I use clear stick on plastic like they use for off road racing moto cross bikes that have their numbers stickered to their bike.Warning taking off the plastic could also take off your paint.I have it on my airdam area off my bike,saves the paint but when I did my first oil change and tried taking off the plastic it also took the paint off.

Product called tank skin made by 3mm company .Have used it for years have it on my tank and any wear part of painted panels ,when you wish to remove simply heat with hair dryer as you take it off never lost paint yet Boss

I like my bike chip free, but hey Dirty Pete if you like your bike Ratty I think that is great!!!

Teamhayabusa, I don't want to give you the impression I've let my Busa degenerate into a 2 wheeled garbage truck.

I just feel freer to abuse my Busa if it's not showroom mint perfect.

Like if the wheels are clean and polished I'm reluctant to take a dirt sideroad on my way home.

Or if I'm at the track and I don't have a support vehicle with race stands, I feel free to lean my Busa up against a picnic table to work on it.

And besides, a few scratches and bent bits give me something to do in the long winters we get up here.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 05 September 1999).]

Your right cisco, I see we think alike. I tried the same thing in the same area and just seconds after putting on, i thought about that pulled it off and it took a real minute piece off.If I would have let it stay on for a while I would have been in trouble.

Back