Cold ride

bikemedic

Registered
so i had my first day off in about 5 months, and if you add up that and the fact that i just got my helmet back from paint...
it didn't matter how cold today was gonna be, or did it?  unfortunately it was so cold my poor baby wouldn't start.  i ended up draining the batt trying to get her started.  i tried to run and jump the clutch but it was so cold that the rear wheel just locked up.  i ended up just using a jump pack.  does anyone have ideas for me on how to avoid this situation.  i own a second floor condo and i pay for a storage garage for the busa and dj equipment.  the storage garage is not climate controlled and has no sockets for a batt tender.  But it's the only place i can find around here that lets me in anytime of day or night.  so i feel like i am stuck between a rock and a hard place. sorry i don't have alot of pics, i was the only one riding in the cold. i do have two vids one of the hindle and one of the leds i put on. ill try to post them but i am no good at this comp stuff.

pic

78_resize.jpg

take out your battery,if you dont have any power where you keep the busa,and use your battery tender at home..

Still too dam cold to ride here
mad.gif
Glad you got to ride for a bit though.

Does the storage area have an overhead light in it? Is this controlled by a wall mounted switch?

If so, AND you know how to do some wiring, you could wire on an outlet to the "load" side of the switch. That way it would be on all the time and then you would have an outlet for a battery tender.

I'll see if I can draw up a basic schematic
wink.gif

Here's the basic setup. You'll need to run some conduit to do it right, and the circuit will be live unless you have access to the breaker, so if you've never done wiring (energized), then I would not try this. If you're going to have the storage unit for a while, then try to find an electrician that might do a side job for ya without telling the facility owner.

Another option is to go by Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or the like and get one of those adapters that screw into a lightbulb socket and has an outlet on it.

outlet.JPG

BikeMedic: Just wondering, did you put Stabil (or equivalent) in your tank before letting her sit for a while? Gummed up fuel lines or injectors might be contributing to the hard starting too.

-PR

i have not put anything into my fuel, however i go to my storage garage atleast once a week and start her up, just to keep the fluids moving

Sounds like taking the battery out and keeping it on a battery tender at home is the hot setup. If you are starting it every week and not riding it, it may be draining the battery more. Just a thought.

biggrin.gif

Back