Cornering/Leaning a lowered busa

CrotchRocket

Registered
My busa is lowered 2" on the rear and 1" upfront. I have always worried about scraping when leaning her over more aggressively. Can anyone with this setup confirm this?

_DSC0008.jpg

My busa is not lowered and I scrape the lower fairings when riding the mountains, so I would imagine that being lower, you will have serious scrap marks.

dont mean to get off topic but did you have to change your kickstand at that height? if so, which one did you go with?

Mine was lower front 1 inch and rear was 1.25in using the Vortex lower link but mine rear tire will be using 55 on profile instead or normal 50. To compromise and balances.

As long as you don't ask much out of her you won't have any problem.

If you want to romp her in the canyons I'd suggest you hit the gym on a regular basis because it's going to take some muscle to tip that fat heifer in at any sort of speed.

Beautiful bike. Should really attract lots of attention parked in front of Starbucks on Sunday morning! :beerchug:

All depends on how far you crank her over. My gen I, I could drag the kickstand pivot with the same drop, so keep an eye on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

The reason why I ask is because during my ride last week, I took a sharp turn and my left boot scraped the ground. (it could also be the way my foot was positioned on the pegs but I don't believe I was leaning her aggressively)

I haven't been to the track and would definitely like to take her to the track sometime next year.

As long as you don't ask much out of her you won't have any problem.

If you want to romp her in the canyons I'd suggest you hit the gym on a regular basis because it's going to take some muscle to tip that fat heifer in at any sort of speed.

Beautiful bike. Should really attract lots of attention parked in front of Starbucks on Sunday morning! :beerchug:

"Beautiful bike. Should really attract lots of attention parked in front of Starbucks on Sunday morning! :beerchug:"

OUCH!! That burns gotta hurt....

cheers
ken

Your cornering clearances from hard parts to the ground have been reduced because of lowering the bike. You will not be able to lean her like a stock bike. Keep the balls of your feet on the pegs and that will help from scaping your boots, but it may still happen. If you plan to put her on the track, do yourself the favor and raise it back up. If you have soupy links, you can do that easily. Keep in mind, if you start scapping hard parts, you are on the edge of that fine line that you will either make the corner or lowside. Nothing wrong with having a lowered bike, as long you are also aware of the results and what this translates to on the road.

"Beautiful bike. Should really attract lots of attention parked in front of Starbucks on Sunday morning! :beerchug:"

OUCH!! That burns gotta hurt....

cheers
ken

That was actually a compliment Ken.

It's a beautiful bike built for show.

Your cornering clearances from hard parts to the ground have been reduced because of lowering the bike. You will not be able to lean her like a stock bike. Keep the balls of your feet on the pegs and that will help from scaping your boots, but it may still happen. If you plan to put her on the track, do yourself the favor and raise it back up. If you have soupy links, you can do that easily. Keep in mind, if you start scapping hard parts, you are on the edge of that fine line that you will either make the corner or lowside. Nothing wrong with having a lowered bike, as long you are also aware of the results and what this translates to on the road.

Thanks for your insight, luckily, I have soupy's links. I lowered her because I'm vertically challenged :banghead:

If you are scraping the lower fairings when riding, you are riding at the tires edge...sounds like a pending low side. I guess you have pulled or scrubbed off the peg feelers?

My busa is not lowered and I scrape the lower fairings when riding the mountains, so I would imagine that being lower, you will have serious scrap marks.

Thanks for your insight, luckily, I have soupy's links. I lowered her because I'm vertically challenged :banghead:

Good deal, just take it easy on the street and when you get to the track, raise it up and inch or so and see how it feels.

If you are scraping the lower fairings when riding, you are riding at the tires edge...sounds like a pending low side. I guess you have pulled or scrubbed off the peg feelers?

I took off the feelers and yes it is close to tire edge, but that is the fun of knee dragging 480 pounds. As for low-siding, well, it can happen but hasn't as of yet. I have seen a lot of the 600's and 1000's slide out.

No reason a properly lowered bike (not a slammed unnit) that maintains the correct geometry can't go out and have fun in the corners. You will just need to be fluent in hanging off the bike to compensate for the decreased ground clearnence. However I will say if you get the geometry off lowered or not, the fun will go away quickly.:thumbsup:

Back