Custom Maps

tinbender0

Cool Breeze
Donating Member
Registered
my bike is surging around 4300 to 4500 rpms. it didn't do it woth the pc map, just the custom map thats loaded now, I took it back to the dealer they say nothing is wrong, its normal for it to "hunt". Is there anyway to smooth it out?
rock.gif
?Is this normal???

With a custom map...one built for only your bike...it should not "Hunt" anything but Kowisuckski's
all_coholic.gif

Surging while cruising at 4300-4500 rpms or under acceleration? Do you know about what throttle % it is doing it at? Do you know what map you had when it was not doing it?

Was it on an inertia dyno or a load cell dyno?

Mine does this as well (while cruising)

I was told to get a (HERE WE GO) TRE
But others on here told me that this would only be a bandaid fix ?
at first it didn't bother me, but now it's starting to bug.

actually mine will do that too. I associated that with the bumpiness of the highway, as it is right at my cruising speed rpm. But did wonder maybe it was the MAP.

We frequently have Hayabusa's in our shop for that very reason. Its improper mapping. They come in that way but leave with a smooth strong powerband to the redline. A problem that really pops up with bikes with the small airbox mod, it seems. If anyone is near Frederick, MD we can get it sorted out with an Org...discount of 200.00...we use the Eddy Current Load procesor and our ram air simulator to get your bike dialed in.  
super.gif
I'll go record saying we have the best dyno tuning services in the area and further.

If it was running good before in those ranges. You could try to take the values out of the old map and place in them in the new map at the range you are having difficulty. Make sure you backup your current map before you start messing with it...

If you don't have anyway to get a hold of an A/F meter, you could try using the course tuning buttons to lean it out in the low range and see how it runs. If it is surging, it generally is rich, but if it runs worse, richen it up a bar instead and try it out.

Definetly a mapping issue. Can take many runs and tuning hours to get the custom map right. It is not a one-time deal usually and requires lots of tuning time to get it perfect.

(Cloud9 @ Jul. 20 2007,11:55) If it was running good before in those ranges. You could try to take the values out of the old map and place in them in the new map at the range you are having difficulty. Make sure you backup your current map before you start messing with it...

If you don't have anyway to get a hold of an A/F meter, you could try using the course tuning buttons to lean it out in the low range and see how it runs. If it is surging, it generally is rich, but if it runs worse, richen it up a bar instead and try it out.

Definetly a mapping issue. Can take many runs and tuning hours to get the custom map right. It is not a one-time deal usually and requires lots of tuning time to get it perfect.
I was thinking about messing with those values, but I didn't want to mess anthing up.  it seems to only surge between 4300 and 4500 rpms, so maybe I'll try the old values there.  i dont know if that affects all the other values as well .# 2 it is a custom map for my bike #3 the dealer says its dialed in perfect..(BS) Dynojet dyno winpep7

You won't mess up the other values, but just change the range between 4300 and 4500. YOu will have values for different throttle positions... I would just take all values for all throttle positions in that range and change'em...

THe problem wiht the coarse buttons is that they adjust the entire range either all low, middle, nor high a full 3%. So using the coarse tuning will screw up your other values for sure. I would just play wiht the range you are having problems with...

Cloud

So if I save the map, reopen a new one , adjust it, then install . I should be able to go back to the other one if it makes matters worse, right?

Same here custom map made for your bike with your bike on the Dyno . This worked for me and is the best way to stop it and get the most hp out of your bike
My 2 cents

(tinbender0 @ Jul. 23 2007,13:40) So if I save the map, reopen a new one , adjust it, then install . I should be able to go back to the other one if it makes matters worse, right?
Yes, Make absolutely sure you save your current map, you don't want to loose it.

She seems to run alot better now, I smoothed it out from 4500, 4750 and 5000 rpms. (copied the 312-005 pcIII map) Don't know how much H.P. I lost but who cares....The majority of the custom map is still there...THANKS for the help guys..I was petrified messing around with the values at first, but it wasn't bad at all..

(tinbender0 @ Jul. 24 2007,11:44) Don't know how much H.P. I lost but who cares....
beerchug.gif

Glad to hear. One thing I haven't seen a lot of in the "map" threads is the variance between mapping for street and racing. I have always had multiple tunes for my street rods depending on if I was out cruising with the hotties or taking money from their boyfriends. Just my .02.

Back