Diesel ???

StrtRac3r

Registered
So my buddy has a 94 f 2 or 350. He put a full banks kit on it but isn't happy with his boost. He says he is getting 8-10lbs at 2k rpm. Sounded late to me. So I wanted to ask (as I know bigbaddodge should be lurking somewhere) is there a problem he should look for before altering the kit? It was professionally installed. What can be done to adjust lag on a diesel? For cars I know the intake outlet size and pipe diameter can be changed, but I don't know the optimal cfm for a diesel.

I know he would appreciate any advise.

Have him get on powerstroke.org, just like here but for Ford Trucks.

Diesels are a different game, personally with a banks setup he's not gonna be making a ton of power period. They are good quality setups but are designed for safe reliable power not big power. 2k Rpm sounds about right considering they idle around 1k, but he could be making it a bit earlier and should be seeing more than 8-10 psi. The simple part of it is, add fuel!! Better injection setup will equate to faster spool and more boost. Its a dirty little game of chase, you add fuel, gotta add air to cool it down, add to much air and need more fuel :laugh:

I dont know 100% on strokes but to give you an idea mine on injectors on heavy tuning would spool around 1800 and produce 35psi
120hp injectors with a 64/71/14 charger, same tuning was lighting around 2300 and producing 65psi was laggy but i was chasing numbers, definately check out powerstroke.org or have him call anthony at elite diesel and talk to him about it, tell him big paul sent him.

I am a diesel tech and BBD is steering you in the right direction. But dont over look the small things. Check the intercooler piping and boots for any leaks aswell. the 6.0l stroke was notorious for getting boost leaks on the boot coming off the compressor housing and they would get them on the bottom of the boot so the only real way to see it was get a mirror under there. BBD is right when he speaks of Banks. they are more for clean reliable power and not heavy hitting power. so adding fuel if everything is in line would be about your way to go. But id check all the small things first like boost leaks. Should be more then 8 to 10psi

^^^ definately does the setup have one of those banks big head wastegates? If so there should be a way to adjust that, im not familiar with the banks setup.

if it was professionally installed you wouldnt think they would leave boost that low but the wastegate could definately increase peak boost. So if the kit came with one then yes definately do make sure you have it where you want it.

Sorry I haven't got back to respond. I did foreword the advise. I thought similar with the boost because most diesels I have seen measure in BAR because it's so much boost.

Btw BBD, I saw ur post about advise and at first thought I caught you on a bad day lol.

Sorry I haven't got back to respond. I did foreword the advise. I thought similar with the boost because most diesels I have seen measure in BAR because it's so much boost.

Btw BBD, I saw ur post about advise and at first thought I caught you on a bad day lol.

Lol oh no completely different subject

let us know what comes of this. I'm willing to bet the more i think about it could be in the wastegate adjustment

My brothers room mate had his 99 stroke "professionally" worked on and a week later was calling me thinking the turbo ate something and was shot, wouldnt build boost all of a sudden, told him i'd come down and check it out, turbo was probably fine, instead he pays some big bucks to get it towed back to they're house, ordered a turbo online by the time i got down there, without even pulling the intake. The shop had pulled the charge pipes off to gain access to whatever they were doing and hadnt tightened a single boot clamp back up :laugh: a simple free fix that ended up costing him almost 150 to tow home and another 400 on a used turbo he paid for all because of a shop(and the fact he's dumb):rofl:

Ya I think my friend is in the same boat. I asked about his waste gate an he says, "yeah I can adjust it, it's just a couple bolts on the front of the motor by the water pump." strange place for I waste gate I say. Lol

I'll let y'all know.

Back