Differences 1999/2000 Busa

OB_Animal

Registered
Received the OEM 2000 parts-fiche from my dealer last weekend and here is the list of differences that can be found just by looking at this fiche with the parts for both the 1999 and 2000 model on it long, hard and (dare I say) intelligently enough, although sometimes – of course – you can only see that the partnumbers are different and there’s no way to find out what has changed, except for some educated guessing or remembering things put forth on these boards by others before me regarding model-year 2000 changes.

I have left out some small things that I thought would definitely not be interesting for anybody.

The crankcases (sold as a set) have already been changed during the 1999 model-year from certain framenumber onwards and now for 2000 the part-number has changed again.
As far as engine-covers go, some of these have different part-numbers for 2000 and also a lot of the related bolts and gaskets have changed. Changes include: clutch-cover and –bolts (M6 now, weren’t these smaller?), starter clutch cover gasket and bolts, starter idle gear cap bolts, generator cover bolts, engine sprocket cover and bolts, crankcase breather cover gasket and bolts.
The airbox parts as a set have a different number but the only singular item different is the breather tube for the crankcase breathing that connects to it.
Fuel return hose and its clips are different.
Fuel hose is different and there’s no longer a clamp securing it somewhere halfway.
(some of the above combined makes sense relating to JC’s remarks a while ago about the crankcase breathing now being done with hose directly from crankcase breather cover to airbox and MAYBE all this was done just to prevent the fuel line kinking problem by getting that stupid plastic oil return tank out of the way completely and using different and differently-routed fuel lines ???)
Piston-rings are different number for 2000.
Cam chain tensioner is still the same number as replacement used in official recall (so who was it talking about 3rd generation, this is still “only†the 2nd version).
Clutch springs, clutch spring bolts and clutch spring support bolts are all different.
The combined 3rd & 4th drive gear on the countershaft has changed.
Shift cam stopper has changed and so has the gear shift link arm (the small part that you slide onto the shift shaft). Does this mean they acknowledge a shifting problem?
Not completely clear if the ECM/EFI control unit was changed but don’t think so.
Speedometer and tach assembly has a different number.
One of the adjustable mounts for mounting engine to frame has changed.
Part-number for fuel tank assembly is different, but it seems a lot like the only change is related to the use of a different fuel level sensor that has a different way of mounting to the tank.
Handlebars and its clamp-bolts are different.
All (front and rear) brake disc bolts have changed as well as the bolts mounting and keeping together the front brake calipers. Both front and rear brake hoses and the clutch hose have changed too.
The OEM rear tire has a different part number.

So, there you have it, guess I've put you all to sleep by now, hey?

It's a nice combination of changes for different reasons that I can see here, based on my own experiences with my Busa and on "problems" vented on this board, leading to other parts in the end.

Thanks for all the trouble you went to. Some of these items we knew about from postings and the nice closeup pics of 00' and 99' fuel tank undersides that were posted on labusas but this is much more. I suspect at least some of these changes are part numbers only for the exact same item? (the tire appears to be the exact same for instance) But other items are indeed different. The new fuel sender works differently in that the low fuel light comes on sooner on the 00' than the 99'. There is more fuel available now with the 00' to get to a station when the light comes on than before. The gauge also drops off of the full[F] mark faster than the 99' instead of hanging around the F mark for a while. It doesn't peg the F side as hard when full like the 99' either. I have also commented that I only experienced ONE false nuetral with my 00' versus 10 or so on my 99'. Maybe this has something to do with the changes you listed? My supplimental 00' Service manual addition should arrive this week and I'lll check it too. Thanks for the part number JC - Jim said it didn't show on their computers but the number you provided was in fact correct.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 29 March 2000).]

Good job Animal gathering the info!

Keep in mind that some of these changes might just be from switching "venders"?

Happens all the time.

Animal good research, take a look at the color codes for emblems - what a mess that is, you missed the new lower cowl bracket.

Is the chain the same?

Factory produced a real good roller bearing shift kit for the bike which never gets much recognition.

Rods are differant as well.

Change of numbers for the sake of a vendor?

Mike I was thinking the same thing--IS the chain the same???

I spoke with RK yesterday and they could not confirm if the 2000 is using the same chain.

When I was picking up my 00' Jeff W and I checked my chain info on the parts department's computer and it was the same as the 99. 00' - manufactured 11/99.

Thanx Animal..

Todd... You mentioned a an '00 supplement for the '99 shop manual. How do I get one?
I have an '00 but a '99 shop manual.

email lrussel@newholland.com if you like.

the ecm is different so the one listed is for 99 not 00,clutch plates have different part number but when ordering it goes back to 99 number.Yes the cases are different 2 different cases in 99 I with an extrea bolt under counterbalancer(note not listed in service manual) and 2000 is different due to beather set up.chain and tires are the same.

I also have a 00 and a 99 manual.How many more pages is it for the 00 supplement manual and how much does it cost?
If tis not too many pages,can someone email me a copy of the 00 manual?

Thanks,
Bill

Back