engine build

bigbusabigbusa

Registered
looking for a little help on what to do. i had origanally thought about the usual 1397 with cams around the 385 size as to not wear my valve train out to quickly. now i have been thinking about staying with the stock bore and putting in a stroker crank , 13 to 1 pistons and cams . the bike is an 06 and will be used for the street and playing around at the track. is one of these combos better than the other or is there something all together better?by the way im looking to stay in the 4500 dollar ballpark thank you. already have a brocks alien head and power commander and bmc air filter and four short velocity stacks

the cam and head combo is very important to make power. One without the other will lower the overall potential. Over bore is a cheaper route than stroke which frees up more cash for the top end. If the engine doesn't have high mileage then you wouldn't have a need to strip down everything to replace crank/rod bearings. Of course if you dive that deep into the engine a new crank might not add much extra cost. If your not doing this yourself then you really need to take into account the labor costs between the two options.

the cam and head combo is very important to make power. One without the other will lower the overall potential. Over bore is a cheaper route than stroke which frees up more cash for the top end. If the engine doesn't have high mileage then you wouldn't have a need to strip down everything to replace crank/rod bearings. Of course if you dive that deep into the engine a new crank might not add much extra cost. If your not doing this yourself then you really need to take into account the labor costs between the two options.

+1, cam and head combo is a must. If you have the cash do the bore, new crank/bearings and the cam and head work.

thank you for your replies.so far it seems as tho head and cams is the most important. i have read there are several good head people so what about cams ? whats a good size i want lots of power but i dont want to have to rebuild valve train every winter . so how does 2500 for head and cams and another 1000 for a 1397 block and pistons sound

i have another question sorry to bother you fellows so much but this is the best place to get the info im looking for. as far as the head goes how much extra power will it give me. in other words is the cost justified by the extra power i will get from doing it

i have another question sorry to bother you fellows so much but this is the best place to get the info im looking for. as far as the head goes how much extra power will it give me. in other words is the cost justified by the extra power i will get from doing it

Maybe this will help:my Gen1 made 160rwhp bonestock,,and 218rwhp after a 1397 w headwork&cams(w pipe&PC obviously)and drove it everyday on the street w pump gas and zero issues:thumbsup:

old gixxer if you dont mind sharing whos head and what size cams you were running i would highly appreciate it. thank you kindly

Yesterday was the first run with my 1397 and I loved it! :) I got the bike Friday and had my vales checked on saturday and ran her out on Sunday. I cant tell you ANYTHING about pistons cams or any of those as they sound Chinese to me lol. I can tell you that rolling on it in 6th gear from 80 to 140 was sick. Felt much more responsive than my old stock busa. I dont think you will regret it, and way less maintenance/things to go wrong than a turbo IMO. I cant wait to see/hear abt it when you are done.

I put a 1340 crank in mine. Bumped the compression to 13:2. Very small cams and some head work. HP went up about 32, added 10mph and took about .55 off the ET in the 1/4. A very reliable street combo.

Back