engine siezed

nsall

Registered
this all started with a charging system failure. I took it a mechanic to rewire the three wires coming from the magneto. after I picked my bike up from the shop, on the drive home, My fault light came on and the bike wouldn't rev past 4000RPM. I trailered it back to the shop the next day. The mechanic I took it to told me that my Power Commander broke. He removed it and told me the bike runs fine. I have an K&N filter and a full race exhaust. It seemed to be running fine for 2 days and then . . . CRAP!!!! the engine seized. Is the mechanic stupid is there a deep rooted problem I don't know about? Needless to say, the bike is going to get a rebuild this winter.

has anybody ever heard of a bike seizing due to a lean condition?
Any upgrades to engine internals I should be thinking about? 17,000 of this engine, maybe a clutch disk replacement? I don't know.

I got 28K on my bike, original clutch, and stage II turbo system...
smile.gif
Maybe I will replace clutch next year...

You sure it has oil? I don't see how it could have went lean with stock computer connected and no PC... Was it overheating?

If you rebuild, think about what you want out of it...

the bike has oil. I didn't overheat or anything. I started the bike in the garage and let it warm up, then drove it about a hlaf of a mile before it acted like I was out of gas. it sputtered and died. I cranked it for about a minute off and on before it acted like the battery died. cranking slower and slower. Let me tell you, that bike is a heavy beast when you have to push it up hill for a half a mile at 4:30 in the morning. anyway I will post pics as the rebuild starts.

(nsall @ Jul. 21 2007,21:49) the bike has oil.  I didn't overheat or anything.  I started the bike in the garage and let it warm up, then drove it about a hlaf of a mile before it acted like I was out of gas.  it sputtered and died.  I cranked it for about a minute off and on before it acted like the battery died.  cranking slower and slower.  Let me tell you, that bike is a heavy beast when you have to push it up hill for a half a mile at 4:30 in the morning.  anyway I will post pics as the rebuild starts.
Are you positive its seized and not just a bad battery? Maybe the mechanic screwed the wiring up and you're not charging? Its pretty hard to seize a Busa motor....they're tough as hell. if you had all the fluids and the motors close to stock with reasonable miles on it I gotta wonder.

If its seized you can find that out pretty quick, I am guess there is someelse amuck......several test should revealed the problem.

Compression test
Fuel Pressure
Does the crank rotate?
Plugs?
Cranking amps of the battery?

Just some things to look at: Good luck.......if it needs it 1397 is the way to go.....
super.gif

I tell you what to do is put it in a forward air container and ship it to me.

Is it possible that the mechanic re-wired/wired the magneto incorrectly, and trashed the charging/elec system? I would take it to another mechanic and get a 2nd opinion or at least have the new mech inspect the previous work...

(GoldenChild @ Jul. 22 2007,21:13) I tell you what to do is put it in a forward air container and ship it to me.
Whatever happened, did you find out if it siezed or not? Golden Child has a great offer, I would trailer or truck to him over in Oregon and have him look at and rebuild if necessary. Need to have somebody you can trust.

Well I know it has oil. I know it was charging. I charged the battery after it siezed because I thought It was dead. I put a breaker bar on the crank nut on the side of the motor and it would not budge. until I can get the dang thing apart I won't know anything.

golden child, thanks for the offer but I have a friend that is AMI certified to work on suzuki and ducatti that has agreed to take the bike on as a project. thanks anyway.

I don't know about the 08's. they have a wierd look to them. I would like the 08 engine though. What really sucks about this whole thing is I just barely got new tires, chain, front fork seals, rear spocket. it sucks that the bike is just sitting there in my garage.

Are you sure the bolts didn't back out of the windings and getting caught on the magnet!..Drain the oil and look for corn flakes.

Back