Extended Swingarm

MoosesBusa

Former BusaHolic
Donating Member
Registered
Considering installing an extended swingarm. somewhere around 6" Trying to effectively keep front tire planted on the pavement under 2nd thru 4th gear hard acceleration. How much will the bike suffer in the handling dept. if / when i make the mod?

It will not handle anywhere near as good as stock with it that long. You would be better off lowering the bike since that will help keep the bike down and will not effect handling as much. Or you could buy a 0-6 swingarm and put it out about 2" and that will also help keep the bike down without effecting the handling as much as 6" over.
smile.gif

Ext. arms just look damn good...Are they practical probably not...Depends alot on what you intend to do with the bike...Do you think your gonna be riding the twisties really hard???Are you gonna drag race???Are you building a show bike???If you can answer this type of question then you'll know if you want an arm...My bike has an adjustable arm 3" - 9" and is set at 6"...I love it...But at 6" I had to give up wheelies...At the same time I don't know of many bikes close to me that can start a rolling burnout at 80mph...Like Blue Streak mentioned it would be best to get an adjustable 0" to whatever and go from there...If you buy a heavy duty chain and use riveted links you can change the length whenever you like until you find what you like...Ext. arms aren't for everyone...
evil.gif

My intention with this bike is mostly very fast in a pretty straight line Lookin as good as possible
tounge.gif
I just want to make sure that if I hit a curve a little too hot while it's stretched I can get down and around it without incident. I will be going to DeSoto ( 1/4 Mile NHRA Drag Strip an hours drive away ) pretty much every Thursday night but am going to ride there and back down some nice curvy roads. To boil it down I WANT a bike that will keep the front tire on the road at all times, take off like a bullet and hammer curves. Since that bike does not exist I have to find a good medium. That being said, from reading the replies I should get an adjustable swing-arm from 0 - 6" put it on about 2" for every day riding/playing and run it to 6" once I get to the track?.?.

If you can ride you can turn some #'s stock wheelbase just slammed. My bike is stock wheelbase slammed with 16 tooth front, BDE pipe, PCIIIR, Box mod and thats it never had an engine cover off and I run 6.20's at my local 1/8th mile track at 119mph every pass. I have seen many guys not run those numbers with extended swingarms. So you may want to just try lowering the bike first since you will have to anyway if you plan on extending it. I plan on extending my bike this winter and I'm going to buy a 0-6 underbraced gsxr 600 swingarm (so it no longer has the top brace because it will hit the battery box when slammed) and I am going to extend it to 60" so I can get into the 5's.

To answer your question you will really have to just decide how long you want the bike for both street and strip. It becomes a pain changing the chain every week from 2 over to 6 over. So you may want to try 4 over at first and see how you like it.

If you can ride you can turn some #'s stock wheelbase just slammed. My bike is stock wheelbase slammed with 16 tooth front, BDE pipe, PCIIIR, Box mod and thats it never had an engine cover off and I run 6.20's at my local 1/8th mile track at 119mph every pass. I have seen many guys not run those numbers with extended swingarms. So you may want to just try lowering the bike first since you will have to anyway if you plan on extending it. I plan on extending my bike this winter and I'm going to buy a 0-6 underbraced gsxr 600 swingarm (so it no longer has the top brace because it will hit the battery box when slammed) and I am going to extend it to 60" so I can get into the 5's.

To answer your question you will really have to just decide how long you want the bike for both street and strip. It becomes a pain changing the chain every week from 2 over to 6 over. So you may want to try 4 over at first and see how you like it.
Here's one that's for sale.

DSC01370.JPG

First of all, a stock Busa only has wheelie problems in first gear.
Secondly, anything over about 3" will just promote wheelspin.

Learn to launch it with it lowered and you have no need for a long arm. Strap the front and lower the rear, launch at about 3-5000 rpms, letting the clutch out in about a 1/4 second, as soon as it's out, pin the throttle. You will get a small wheelie (most likely less than 6") in first and then you are gone!!!

I think extended swing arms look like ass personally! I guess that goes in the "con" column. Pro - I guess it has already been said for launching!
wink.gif

Here's one that's for sale.
If no one picks it up by the middle of Jan. it will be on my busa. I  have been looking at it Jim and I'll buy it once christmas is over. What are you doing? Longer arm?

<!--EDIT|Blue Streak
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102896149 -->

Yeah I talked to Sean and I'm sending him my seat right after christmas. I am interested in the arm and I will buy it after christmas if you still have it.
cool.gif

I got a 3-9" didn't get it put on before I got rearended . Now I got another busa and plan on putting it on in the summer . Mines mainly for looks
cool.gif

You live in FL. I would not worr about handling on twities. You will be fine with extension. I have not done mine because I ride in New Englad and South FL. If it was just South Fl. I would extend mine.

Back