F to E - how much oil?

celticBandit

Registered
Hi guys, Anyone know how much oil it takes to go from F to E in the sight glass? Tried search but to no avail.

Thanks in advance
Tony

The total capacity is 3.3 qts. It probably will tak just about 1 qt. to fill the sight glass.

My GenII not sure about yr of yours states in manual and 100 dollar service manual 3.3 qts.
But with that in it you could not even see oil in the window. A little at a time to bring it right up to F wound up being all 4qts with a filter change.
Dont know why they would say 3.3 when you cant even see it in window ?

My GenII not sure about yr of yours states in manual and 100 dollar service manual 3.3 qts.
But with that in it you could not even see oil in the window. A little at a time to bring it right up to F wound up being all 4qts with a filter change.
Dont know why they would say 3.3 when you cant even see it in window ?
My oil changes have always been right at 3 1/3 qts. Maybe you have a pan full of metal shavings taking up space :rofl:

RacerV if I had metal shavings taking up space it would take less and not more than yours..:poke:???
Might be yours that is full-o-metal
:bowdown:

Doesn't help the OP but with an oil/filter change I put in 4 qts and it lands me just about perfect.

thanks guys, it's a '01. Changed oil & filter yesterday and it took 3.3 liters like the manual says. But I was wondering what the difference was in capacity between the F mark and E mark on the sight glass.

aaaargh...it was a trick question all along

or maybe he has a leak and just wants to know how much oil hes losing?

Yep, I think I have a leak and want to see how much it's losing. I don't think it's as much as a quart(0.94 liters). I was adding oil the other day and it took somewhere close to or less than 0.25 of a liter to go from E to F. I was just wondering if anyone knew exactly how much.

Since my oil comes in litres, I would have to say about 3 3/4 litres (repsol) :laugh:

I think i know why some bikes seem to take more oil,if your bike is lowered in the rear that makes the oil run slighty back more than stock height. just like when you do a clutch job, open the case with bike on the kick stand and very little oil will run. stand it up strait and you"ve got a mess on your hands. I"m going to test this today, put the bike on the rear stand and slowly lower it watching the oil level. If I"m right i think some one owes me a beer:rulez:

Back