Fatal bike vs. car

G

Kirk,
I have a soldier who just bought a 00 GSX-750 for his very first bike. I tried to talk him out of it, but he is young and dumb and had a wad of cash burning a hole in his pocket. It's frustrating because you know you are doing the right thing by trying to talk him out of it but he doesn't want to listen! His insurance is beyond belief and worst of all, he rides like a squid...t-shirt, shorts, etc. I made him take the motorcycle safety course on post, but I guess he just doesn't get it. I even showed him my helmet from my one crash, and he just doesn't get it. Tell your friend that he is not at fault. That poor kid would have ended up getting that bike from someone else. -russ

To bad the manufactors of these motorcycles could not band together and have some kind of safety course and ride helded before releasing the bike to a new owner. One suggestion is to have a new rider night held once a month and have some safety lecture,possible racer rider show up to give his importanted safety tip and sign autographs. I know,I know cost to much money,it's worth a try. Did preach to the young educate.

Kids who drive crazy are going to drive crazy. Whether it's a bike, car, skies, skateboard or scooter. These thigs happen. I'm not saying it's a good thing that they do. But they happen. As long as you don't do it you should be OK

[This message has been edited by Ambush (edited 30 July 2000).]

Actually now that the subject is open here.... Alberta is trying to implement a law where Motorcycle Safety Courses are mandatory and you are limited to what cc bike you can buy for three years...

below 600 for the first, then below 900 and after three years, sky is the limit

Hey, if someone is an idiot and pushes their machines past the rider's ability they will eventually get hurt or killed. But, personally I think anyone who is a level headed individual and knows what they are capable of will generally be okay. Of course there are those times that sneak up on you and you won't be prepared. If someone in a car pulls out in front of you at the last minute, you're screwed, I don't care what you're riding. I don't buy into the "BIG bikes kill" belief, its stupid riders that kill themselves generally. I race mountain bikes, yeah a whole 1/2 horsepower machine powered by the rider themselves and I've seen some pretty nasty wrecks doing no more than 40-45 mph tops. Oh yeah, the wet weight (full water bottle) might be 25 lbs (175-225 with rider). That's a mightly little bike!! Wow, that's a 1:400 hp-weight ratio compared to a 1:4 ratio of a "little" GSXR-600!

The Army doesn't "recommend" (require), helmet, jacket, reflective vest, pants, boots, and gloves? I'm in the Navy and you can't get onto most bases without those. Also the Navy's SGLI life insurance requires that a helmet must have been worn if a wreck ends in a fatality, or they won't pay out to your beneficiaries. So if your stupid then you screw your family out of the benefits. In fact to get a bike on base it must be registered and to do so you are required to take the military motorcycle safety course. Some guys at my command got bikes and the Navy temporarily reassigned them to a base 2 hours away just so they could complete the 3 day course. They were supplied with funds to obtain a hotel room (not barracks), 3 meals a day, and travel expense (gas). The Navy takes motorcycles very serious, so serious as to supply these guys with somewhere around $200 each to attend the course. That doesn't include the expenses of running the course. I thought all military branches did the same.

I had coffee last night (early this morning) with a guy who works at a local motorcycle dealer. He recently sold a new 2000 GSXR-750 to a 19 year old as his first bike. He didn't want to, but he couldn't stop the kid. Kid ran wide on a corner two nights ago and took on an oncoming van. My friend is heavily bummed and I think he feels a little guilty. This has been a rough summer.

Dewey4 good going on the Navy,when I was in you had to take the safety motorcycle class also, had to do the front brakes only stop, skid the rear tire control stop, quick lane change test,slow control riding,bright orange vest,helmet.With out the certification no base sticker and you are left with parking your bike outside of base and hoping parts were not taking off the bike or worse stolen. I'm glad the Navy is taking care of the crew. Ride safe.

It's not the bikes fault nor the person who sold it. There are 19 year olds that know thier limits and ride within them and then there are the ones that bite off more than they can chew. It can be any sized bike that they are riding. If it pushed harder than they can handle, they are probably going to bite it.

thats the way the bone crumbles.........i sold a client stock even after telling them that the co was a piece of sh*t. stock tanked , oh well..........live n burn........

hey i completely understand where you guys are coming from but you can't go back to the whole age thing again. If someone has been riding for a while they can handle just about any bike out there. I was dragracing and street riding when i was 16! i bought the busa when i was 18.I get your point though, a lot of kids buy 750s and r1's and simply cant ride them or get hurt.

another thing. some of the most dangerous manuevers i have seen was by older(40s) buell and harley riders! i was cruisin behind them in some 2 lane traffic. they decided to show off and cut over 1 lane. they did not shift down, speed up, or get prepared. they drifted over 2 foot from this guys bumber!! i was thinkin way to go assshole.(p.s. usually guys wearing shorts on a bike are uninformed!) "usually".

I did my first 2000km (1300 miles) on my new bike this last week....and that was very good practice!

I did a smart move buying a smaller bike first, to do the stupid things at lower speeds...

It is a very good thing that all the guys at Hayabusa.org keep newbies away from 'Busas...

Here in Denmark, you have to turn 18 before you can get a license. In the years 18 to 21 you wont be alowed to drive more than 34 HP.
After that you can drive a Busa if you can afford it. kr. 200.000 $ 25000. The insurance for a newbie is hi to.

Hi The Madman
The Busa is a very nice bike, try a modified
Kawa 750 two stroke bike (120 Hp) and shes
gonna Seduce you and take you to some places
were you don't want to be ....... Hooospital
5 Clouds of blood .... after a visit into the forest.
No brakes at all.

The price for Busa went up last week 139.000 Skr approx. 15444 USD (For Swedes)

Back