First long ride on my new Hayabusa

ken503

Registered
I figured the best way to learn the ins and outs of a new bike is to ride it. So, that's what I did.

My fiance's family and friends have an annual get together in Northern California that we had already planned on attending. Kind of at the last minute I decided I wanted to ride down. Weather's been good here, and it was supposed to hold through the weekend, so I wanted to take advantage of what little good riding weather we have left for this year.

Left Friday morning and returned Sunday. The trip was right around 1000 miles round trip from Salem to outside of Oroville Ca. I have to say I was impressed. The ride was not as uncomfortable as I'd thought it was going to be. :) The riding posture, while different from the other bikes I've had, wasn't a problem. The seat is comparable to what I had on my Buell, could use a little more cush for long hauls. If I stopped occasionally to walk around and stretch, it was most definitely doable. The mountain passes over the Siskyous were a lot of fun too. Hopefully next time I'll take a bit more scenic route than just I-5. Mileage was great too. Got between 50-55 mpg through the course of the trip.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share some of my thoughts and see if anyone had some ideas for extending your saddle time, making things a bit more comfy for high mileage trips.

K

Some mods to help with touring/distance riding:

* SEATS: refoam the OEM, Tobin/New Image, Corbin, Suzuki gel, AirHawk, etc. Expect mixed opinions from different riders. Sadly, only to find out for sure which one is for you is to actually ride in one for a while. I had a Corbin and now a Suz geal, liked em both.

* "throttle control" device (I have BrakeAway on mine)
* Heli-Bars and/or bar risers (heli-bars for me)
* windscreen: I use ZG ST for multi-day trips, DB for local rides
* Buell peg mod (lowers your footpegs): do not have this...yet :)

You need to stop every couple of hours to fuel anyway, so that is good time to use the restroom, stretch your legs, get a drink, etc. One of my good riding brothers showed me how to keep moving in the saddle all day, dont wait till you are sore to start adjusting or it will be too late. I have a Corbin on my 09, and the Tobin on my 05 was a great seat as well. As already stated, it will be your preference and what works for you. I have also been blessed with a true electronic cruise control, wow....that makes a huge difference. You can also get a throttle miester, but it wont hold speed like a cruise control will. We did 2, 2000+ mile trips this year riding from the Utah state line and far east as Robbinsville, all riding 2 up. I am ready to go again, just need some fresh rubber and oil. :beerchug:

gotta say i agree with the true cruise control. i recently installed it on mine and i love it. I also have the heli bars and buel peg mods. next up will be the seat.

Some mods to help with touring/distance riding:

* SEATS: refoam the OEM, Tobin/New Image, Corbin, Suzuki gel, AirHawk, etc. Expect mixed opinions from different riders. Sadly, only to find out for sure which one is for you is to actually ride in one for a while. I had a Corbin and now a Suz geal, liked em both.

* "throttle control" device (I have BrakeAway on mine)
* Heli-Bars and/or bar risers (heli-bars for me)
* windscreen: I use ZG ST for multi-day trips, DB for local rides
* Buell peg mod (lowers your footpegs): do not have this...yet :)

Seat time, I move around from time to time, through my left arm across the tank, at highway speed lay on the tank ....... seat time.

I'll have to check around with various makers to see what seat offerings they have. Hopefully the prices are better than they were for my Buell :) The peg mod, bar risers, and cruise are definitely something to consider as well.

I found myself doing the same thing, dadofthree, I'd throw my left arm across the tank and rest a little more weight on it. Helped relieve a little arm stress at least. Occassionally standing up on the pegs helped things too. I've done 5000+ mile rides on my Wide Glide, which has a bit more forgiving ergonomics, and a cushy touring seat, but even on that I'd move around as much as I could to find a different position to sit.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, now I need to go do some research! ;)

K

do what you gotta do Ken. but make sure you get it done so you can ride with us on the memorial day weekend.

Back