First official 200 MPH \'Busa!!!

OB_Juanski

Registered
I just picked up the Canadian Biker magazine at the show in Toronto...here is part of the article on page 6:
"The 200 MPH barrier in a class for production based, normally aspirated, gas powered motorcycles was finally broken during an Oct.20-24 meet at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Competitor Rick Yacoucci rode his Suzuki Hayabusa to an average two way speed of 201.708 MPH, after recording individual speeds in each direction at 204.103 and 199.313.
Rules allow for internal engine changes and the alterations to Yacoucci's Hayabusa included higher gearing, J&E high compression pistons, Web cams and a K&N Power Commander.
The bike was lowered through original equipment adjustments."

I believe that proves that the Hayabusa was the fastest production bike of the century. It also shows where you can spend the extra $$ difference you saved from the ZX-12 price to easily put this squabbling to rest. The GSX1300R can be lightened in weight easily with a simple exhaust change, and along with the above mods it will still prove to be the undisputed fastest bike on the road. I wonder how much the ZX-12 can be tweaked, or has Kawasaki squeezed the max out of their long delayed smaller displacement engine? The ZX-12 already has a bumped up compression ratio of 12.2/1 vs. the Suzuki's 11.0. I think the new Kawi air scoop is going to be sucking a lot of Busa exhaust fumes in the real world. Hehehe

It was a dynoJet pc2 not a K&N, and you would have a lot of people agrue that Rick's bike was not a production stock machine.

I'm not attempting to take anything away from Rick, he's one hell-of-a fast guy, I just feel a production stock machine should be just that, stock! When other bike makers come out with a bike, the magazine testers give them a ride, they want stock bikes.

Again, I'm glad that Turbo Rick has this record with the Hayabusa. I hope he sets more when he has a TURBO Hayabusa!

Its a very impressive accolade, for a highly modified bike. When we get into heavy mods we blur the lanscape with too many variables. Stock bikes provide a baseline that can be accurately scrutinized and compared. A heavily modded busa turned in an impressive top end number. What does that mean? I'm willing to bet my right marble that if it were a prototype 12 with the same mods that ran slightly faster, you guys would all be screaming: SO WHAT! PROVES NOTHING!

Turbo Rick fit in the category of "stock". I'm sure some one can direct you to the rules and sanctioning body. These are the rules that every one races by in that class. I don't know if a truly "bone stock" class exists, it probably does. Turbo Rick did not make the rules, he raced by them.

Under the "stock" rules, he was the first guy over 200.

Turbo Rick, King of speed!

these are the rules
http://www.scta-bni.org/records2.htm#top

A. Production Frame

A standard production road motorcycle of which 500 or more have been produced and which are available for sale to the general public through retail motorcycle dealers and is completely equipped with full lighting equipment, frame, forks, wheels, brakes, gas and oil tank (if installed), fenders and seat. The only modifications which may or must be made are as follows:

1) Handle bar: Any type may be fitted to original handle bar mounts, except handle bars which extend more than 15" above or 4" in front of or 4" below the original handle bar mounts.

2) Foot rests: Must be the original equipment. Passenger foot rests must be removed.

3) Side and center stands: These may be removed.

4) Air cleaner element, tool box, and license plate bracket: These may be removed.

5) Number/Class: See General Rules-Section VII, Article 2-A.

6) Lighting equipment and instruments: Must be exactly the same as fitted to the original model when it was sold for everyday street use. Headlight lens must be cross taped. Turn signal lights and brackets may be removed only if not integrated with body fairing parts. To avoid heat build up, lamps may be rendered inoperative.

7) Fairings, windshields, seats and side panels that are factory equipment standard for the particular model must remain on the motorcycle and be unaltered in height, width, and contour.

8) Tires: See General Equipment-Section VII, Article 2-H.

9) Chain guard: Production motorcycles must have a chain guard (either original equipment or see Modified

Production rear chain guard requirements) as a minimum.

10) Wheel rims: They may be changed only if necessary to obtain tires which meet the necessary tire requirements.

11) External view: The motorcycle must be identical in all respects to the production model it represents, including the intake airbox and exhaust system. The exhaust system, looking at the end (down its centerline) shall be unmodified, i.e., the exit diameter of the cannister (muffler) cannot be enlarged. This comparison will be made when the bike is assembled as ready to run. Any performance modifications must be out of view.

Yeah thanks Turbo Rick for printing out the racing regulations,that was very informative.
Looks like we scared a few Kawi lovers out of the woodwork with this article. In answer to jeff and omega regarding the "highly modified" bike, actually you can consider the front sprocket change and Power Commander as being adjustments rather than mods, and the high compression pistons and cams are only equivalent mods to compensate for what Kawasaki did with the ZX-12. So where does highly modified come from? And that 200+ MPH test was done with all other stock parts still unchanged, including the grossly overweight and restrictive stock exhaust system. Do I see sweat beads forming? Hehehe

Back