Fish tails and red light stops.

steelhead

Registered
I'm always going back to basics on my Hayabusa. I say this because this bike can generate a great deal of momentum at any speed within short time intervals (strong torque and rapid acceleration), and if you don't keep your speed in check, everything you learned in the past catches up with you real quick.

I was behind a driver today who made a sudden emergency stop while the rest of traffic was going through the intersection. Where I'm driving (Korea), there is sometimes no amber light transition from green to red (some traffic lights are incorrectly programmed), and this particular driver simply decided to stop (slam the brakes) while the rest of us were moving through the intersection with the missing yellow.  I guess he saw red and stopped even if he was moving through the intersection. Nice... My rear tire was on the painted line when this happened (rear tire locked), so I fish tailed at about 20-25 km/hr.

When I started to lose stability, I did not really feel anything except, "wtf"?  Then, the next thought, "How Curious."
Watch out for cagers and sudden stops. Even though I had regained control and there was no crash, my ride was placed in check.

Lesson Learned (for me, anyways): Even when I maintain stop and go traffic distance and slow speeds, I can never always know where my rear tire's contact patch is at all times. Be ready for cagers who decide to slam the brakes.

And yes, I was wearing my gear.

<!--EDIT|steelhead
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147932247 -->

I'm always going back to basics on my Hayabusa. I say this because this bike generates a great deal of momentum at any speed, and if you don't keep your speed in check, everything you learned in the past catches up with you real quick.

I was behind a driver today who made a sudden emergency stop while the rest of traffic was going through the intersection. Where I'm driving (Korea), there is no amber light transition from green to red, and this particular driver simply decided to stop going into the intersection.  Nice... My rear tire was on the painted line when this happened, so I fish tailed at 20 km/hr.

When I started to lose stability, I did not really feel anything except, "wtf"?  Then, the next thought, "How Curious."
Watch out for cagers and sudden stops. I regained control and no crash.

Lesson Learned (for me, anyways): Even when I maintained stop and go traffic distance and slow speeds, I never know where my rear tire's contact patch is at all times.  

The ride between Seoul and Osan would be a fun one....

Bet that got the heart beating...
biggrin.gif

I'm always going back to basics on my Hayabusa. I say this because this bike generates a great deal of momentum at any speed, and if you don't keep your speed in check, everything you learned in the past catches up with you real quick.

I was behind a driver today who made a sudden emergency stop while the rest of traffic was going through the intersection. Where I'm driving (Korea), there is no amber light transition from green to red, and this particular driver simply decided to stop going into the intersection.  Nice... My rear tire was on the painted line when this happened, so I fish tailed at 20 km/hr.

Lesson Learned (for me, anyways): Even when I maintained stop and go traffic distance and slow speeds, I never know where my rear tire's contact patch is at all times.  

Only while your outside Seoul, otherwise the traffic wouldn't be any fun.

Emergency braking is a skill that needs to be practiced often.

Glad you kept the rubberside dwon.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the concern. Rubber side down ok. (Watch out for the painted surfaces though...they can get you!)

Glad to hear you're ok....
Keep an eye on that traffic.... cagers do some wierd shyte without any thought to it at all.

why are you hitting your rear brake in a panic stop?in fact dont bother with it at all if ya dont know how and when to use it!! youll live longer.FRONT BRAKE!!on sand rear brake.not the white lines fault its yours .use the front brake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Braking tips appreciated. I've read the safety forum. More braking techiques (in one place) would be appreciated.

glad it wasn't worse.

I agree with the brakin part...stay off the rear unless you're hitting a section of road that has loose stuff on it.

So where's the pics of the ride?

Only while your outside Seoul, otherwise the traffic wouldn't be any fun.
I mean this is out of question, but Is anyone from Korea?
I'm from Seoul, Korea...
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|hydrabusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147968710 -->

Back