Foam Insulation around Fuel Pump

OB_Johnnycheese

Registered
I have started to use heat wrap around my pump and am commuticating my result with Suzuki. So far the heat wrap works better than the foam. less debis in screens

Do You really need it? Has anyone run without it and had problems? Like vapor lock or just decreased power with hot? What about cut outs or coughs when in bumper to bumper traffic? When working on my fuel pump, my insulation got soaked in gas, I tried to clean it but it just fell apart so I just put it back together without it. I haven't really got to ride it when its hot yet so I am wondering if I should insulate it or not. I know its a lot easier to work on the pump and lines without it. Getting ready for the strip Friday night.

Wouldn't take that risk.

Some (knowledgeable too) have already wondered if heat in the pump was maybe the reason for the fuel filter clogging problem and it was also noted that most fuel pumps on injected motorcycles are cooled by integration in the fuel tank.

The one on the Busa is in a dangerous area regarding heat and leaving that "sock" off won't really help?

Just my thoughts/doubts.

yes it there for reason. my bike started acting up at 7000 miles +, so i cleaned the 3 screens the stock foam around the pump was history. went to speed shop for cars and bought something called starter wrap . heat tape with fiberglass on the inside 1/4 thick. cut it to size and installed it will some large hose clamps and plastic ties WORKED GREAT.

Gasoline will boil if temperature are high and more so if the pump creates a vacumn in the line. This causes a reduced fuel delivery and resultant lean mixture. I would assume Suzuki feels the pump insulation is needed under some conditions. You may never notice any differance unless temps are extreme.

Heat definatly has an efect on the fuel pump,I chased a miss @8200rpm for a month wraped the pump with insulation never happend again

not header tape 2'", mine was in a small box with a picture of a car starter on the box.pulls out like a sheat not sure maybe 1 foot by 2 foot. used metal hose clamps and plastic ties .

Thermoteck, isn't that the old header wrap for cars? Its like 2" wide? What did you just wrap it all the way around the pump and wire tie it or zip tie it or something?

I shouldn't have referred to it as a "wrap" since I used the insulated sheet. They can be cut to preferred size/shape. It comes in a blanket sized insulated sheet.

Back