Frame failure in Canada confirmed by Suzuki !!!

OB_CanuckBusa

Registered
I don't think the guys are over-reacting. A frame failure is one of the worst things that can possibly happen. I'm not so sure looking at the frame with a magnifying glass cuts it. I'm not a metallurgist, but I'm not so sure that metal fatigue can be caught early enough by a visual examination. If you can see the fatigue I suspect the end is just in sight (just around the corner). Even if you check the frame after every ride (which I suspect most guys won't do) you may not catch it.

Oh well, now I have to tell my wife she can't ride on the back until the facts are determined. Sounds like a good excuse to get an R1 afterall.

VMAX1500 let us know what you find out. My bike is going into the shop tomorrow (because of a truck that backed over my bike). If I find something out I will let you guys know.

I have a hard time calling MCN an "internet rumor", but I have to agree - We all ought to be taking a close look at our own bikes. If we see something, then take your bike and the article to the dealer. Give them something tangible to call Suzuki about.

I recall seeing a picture on the web about 2 years ago of a TL1000S swing arm that broke after hitting a pot hole (coincidence?).

A casting failure is a serious quality control problem, and deserves attention by the proper authorities, including whatever national motor vehicle safety administration we have (the U.S. motor vehicle whatever safety department). If I were Suzuki, I would send out an immediate recall, once this failure is verified to be true.

Since this alleged failure is reportedly occurring in a region that is a cast part, surface cracks may not be visible. The cast part may have voids inside the part that promote a crack to propagate until a catastrophic failure occurs. A metallurgist can diagnose a failed part, like the failure alleged, and determine the mode and probable cause of failure. Cracks can take some time to propagate, depending on the loading conditions and number of cycles.

Riders proceed with caution.

I'm still a wanabe busa owner, but I'll surly follow up on this story to see how Suzuki handles it.

sporttourer,
TL1000Rs and TL1000Ss are regularly snapping the lugs that mount the spring and damper to the frame.

Suzuki are replacing either the frame or the entire bike (regardless of age) when the problem occurs. Hands up who's heard of this problem?

It's lethel, Suzuki know about it - but they will not admit liability by issuing a recall.

I ride my Busa hard - including on the track, when/if the subframe snaps odds on it'll be in a 130mph sweeper, I could die, it's about time Suzuki got their sh1t together and put our minds to rest coz if someone does die and it's a known problem Suzuki will go under trying to pay costs.

sort it out guys.

What are we supposed to do as riders? Are we to assume it may fail and not ride it or think that perhaps it is safe to ride one up only without luggage? If the subframe breaks while riding it I'm going to just stand up on the pegs. :) By the way, how do you remove the seat to look at that area?
Lee

If you are all worried about this, look in your phone book under "non destructive testing" They use sonic waves through such things as Pins and Scissor ends of aerial work platforms, They charge usually by the hour and are mobile. By reading the sound wave it will give an indication of any crack, regardless of size. JG.

I have got some real bad news... I bought a 2000 Busa earlier this summer from a Dealer called Moto International in Montreal Canada. I live in Toronto, but the deals are better in Montreal ($12500+tax/out the door). I just got off the phone with that Dealer, I called to ask about the frame failure story. What they said really alarmed me. "Suzuki Canada is a aware of the problem, 1 case has already been reported in Canada. If the the frame breaks come see us(the dealer), there is nothing we can do otherwise, no recall has been issued". As you can imagine, I found this answer to be unacceptable. I tried to Call Suzuki Canada, however they are located on the west coast (BC) and are not open yet.

SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ABOUT THIS !!!

Agreed! I just posted a reply on the other thread about this.

I am VERY CONCERNED, as I am sure everyone else is. I am going to call Suzuki right after this email.

I think you guys are over-reacting. Instead of getting upset over an internet rumor, you should eyeball the upper subframe mounts just aft of the upper bolts where the breakage has occurred. If you see anything at all then show it to your dealer.

We have no idea how the bikes that failed were treated.

Mine are absolutely clean using a magnifying glass.

Back