Front sproket check...

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
Greetings,

Need to check how many teeth are on the front sprocket. What is the easist way to check this without tearing the bike apart. I have a 43 on the rear but want to drop it to a 42.

Also, going to a 42 on the rear would I have to remove a link?

Thanks in advance.

hogger...

You have to tear the bike down a bit to get to it...So in essense there is no easy way...
biggrin.gif

If it's a non modified bike the front will be a 17...You should not have to remove a link for the 42 to fit unless links were added for the 43 if so you will more than likely be at the adjustment limit...

what I meant was how do you get to it. Remove fairing?

hogger...
Take of the left side fairing and remove the black cover over the front sprocket. This cover holds the clutch pin as well as covering the sprocket. Remove the Allen then remove the for blade piece that was held on by the Allen, next use your impact gun to remove the nut that is hold the sprocket.

impact gun! I have one so no problem there. Still waiting on a service manual.

What's the torque for install and is the front sproket reverse thread?

hogger...

i never torqued mine i just tightened it up so and i went with a 16 front it makes a world of difference

Usually when I'm in there, I clean out chian lube and dirt in area with Kerosene and change the clutch fluid. The dark clutch fluid in the handle bar peep sight I believe originates in that area...

Back