Gear indicator flip flopping

BIKE DUDE

Donating Member
Registered
About two weeks ago I looked down at my gear indicator on my 08 and for a split second I thought it said I was in 2 even though I knew I wasn't. Now I know I wasn't seeing things. More and more often over the last couple of weeks when I come to a stop and shift into first the indicator says 1 for a second and then it flip flops to 2 and back to 1 and then 2 and sometimes after it flips to 2 it just stays there. All the other gears read properly but the flip flopping back and forth in 1st has me concerned. I was hoping it was just a once or twice intermittent thing and that it would go away. Wishful thinking. Does anybody know the specific voltage readings through the gear position switch in the different gears. I want to check it in 1st and then 2nd because it's as if the voltage is right on the line between what it should be in 1st and what it changes to in 2nd. The computer and gear indicator only know what gear you're in based on that voltage and I think this might be the first thing to check. Does anyone know if the gps can be rotated or adjusted like a throttle position sensor on a car or has anyone else had this problem.???

I notice this when I shift too softly. I just avoid shifting while not moving. I never really use nuetral while waiting for a light. Stuff like that.

Check your gear input voltages at the ECU.

1 - 1,80V
2 - 2,26V
3 - 2,99V
4 - 3,68V
5 - 4,38V
6 - 4,70V

If it's good there, the ECU is processing the data wrong.

If it's not good there, work your way down to the connector and check there. I will bet the GPS is flakey.

Back