Berlin Germany

Registered
hi screwdrivers

who replaces at a gen1 the origin 6 springs with some 6 strongers
should better mount an additional "clip/bracket",
shown as #2 in the pic below,
over the clutch slave.

ungsfedern%20staerker%20-%20Buegel%20an%20Nehmer_0.jpg

the reason is that the sprocket cover of the Gen1 does not seem to be strong enough
to hold the more of force caused by the 6 stronger springs to the 2 screws of the slave.
result - a lot of times the sprocket cover cracked.

we here allways do so when using 6 stronger springs at gen1,
because when cracked - not really funny and more or less expensive.

the blue numbers :
1. a short distance tube sleeve (inner dia = 6 -6.2 mm)
2. the angled clip/bracket (made of alu by a german buddy)
3. a long distance tube sleeve (inner dia = 6 -6.2 mm)
4. clutch slave
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

at all gen2 this work has not to be done - its cover is strong enough - it nowhere broke till today.

Will a gen2 sprocket cover fit a gen1? If so. Would you still need a slave support?

as far as i know
the gen2 does not fit to gen1
it is "thicker / wider" i guess (caused by the sprocket´s shaft wich is longer than the gen1´s)
and by this it "looks" off of the frame.

I use the support on Gen2. Actually now I've switched to the SAE Outlaws billet sprocket cover for protection in the case of a chain breakage.

this damn expensive part from Outlaws (+ other parts) plus a support (like #3 at my pic above) ???

to me that sounds like the simultaneous use of braces/suspenders and a belt

chain breakage ?
i only have heard once of this at a busa in last 12 years and i guess the owner didn´t maintain the (his gen1) busa not really good.

Last edited:
this damn expensive part from Outlaws (+ other parts) plus a support (like #3 at my pic above) ???

chain breakage ?
i only have heard once of this at a busa in last 12 years and i guess the owner didn´t maintain the (his gen1) busa not really good.
Many documented instances of chain failure over the years, that's why covers are made. When they snap they can take the cases out, so rather than being a damn expensive part, I look at it as cheap insurance. Maybe in Germany the term "you gotta pay to play" isn't commonly used, but as the owner of a German performance sedan I'm pretty sure some of your countrymen understand the concept....

chain breakage ?
Me Brown is exactly right. I’ve seen chain failures at the track multiple times. Last time the guy was lucky. He broke off one mounting boss for the sprocket cover but it didn’t go deep enough to open the crankcase. A billet cover greatly reduces the risk. I have very light static clutch pressure so I need the cover for the flex issue.

@Mr Brown
@Dennis

okay - different experiences - thx for the hint
(but i think / guess a good maintained / oiled chain can't crack)
each at his own opinion. :-)

and pls remember : my starting post only refers to the danger with stronger clutch springs
and the very cheap solution.

@Mr Brown
@Dennis

and pls remember : my starting post only refers to the danger with stronger clutch springs
I’ve used the braces. Often there is a reason for the break like an alignment issue but I change my EK DRZ-2 chains every couple years as cheap insurance.

(...) alignment issue (...)

seriously - if you use the "laser" (as i describe in this post #23) you won´t have any more issues with the alignment - never.

(...) but I change my EK DRZ-2 chains every couple years as cheap insurance.

yep
this is really very commendable
but not really necessary. :);)
a chain, if it is well oiled, cannot die of old age
but only from lack of maintenance and too many kilometers / too big milage.

and even again philosophy :
your safety feeling stands at 1st :thumbsup: - so stay at your behavior. :bowdown:

seriously - if you use the "laser" (as i describe in this post #23) you won´t have any more issues with the alignment - never.

yep
this is really very commendable
but not really necessary. :);)
a chain, if it is well oiled, cannot die of old age
but only from lack of maintenance and too many kilometers / too big milage.

and even again philosophy :
your safety feeling stands at 1st :thumbsup: - so stay at your behavior. :bowdown:
Drag racing puts extra and different stresses on everything. I’m only getting a few hundred miles out of a chain but the fastest pro street guys get a few passes out of theirs. Clean and lubricate is quite frequent compared to street use.

@Mr Brown
@Dennis

People typically change to heavier springs to race, or because they are making more power, or both. Which leads them down the path of parts failure. A billet cover is cheap insurance.

Back