getting the best mileage

Phrogg

Registered
I know alot of people are not worried about mileage on their bike, but I am one of those goofy people that are. I'm just curious what I can do to get the best mileage out of the my busa.

I'm ordering the K&N air filter, switching to NGk iridium spark plugs, I don't think i'm gonna do the airbox mod i've been reading about. I ran this setup in my last bike (XB12R) and it was getting 57mpg on average. The busa probably won't get near that but i'm hoping for atleast 45+mpg. What can be done with the sprockets to decrease the rpms at highway speed. I've been reading some about that and it seems like it is a mixed answer so far. Any help would be great! Oh, I don't really care about the low end torque. Its already miles ahead of what i'm used to...lol So don't take that into account.

RIBBIT!!!

I'm also mileage conscious. If you drive like your grandmother, accelerate slowly shift at 3K or less, all stock you can manage 50 MPG at about 70 and below. Plugs, and air filter I doubt will pay for themselves in fuel savings.

Sprockets yes. Go up a tooth in the front or down in the back and yes you will see some lower RPM at speeds. Again the cost vs savings will be up to you to calculate. Figuring you will be spending $60 on a sprocket how many miles will it take to recoup that at an improved 2MPG or so?

How many miles do you drive to make up for these cost?

Oh and by the way, it takes a LOT of discipline to use good habits. It is so easy to snap the throttle on these bikes to spurt past traffic. But you look down and suddenly it will say 37MPG on the trip computer. Doesn't take much to get the mileage way down.

Basically run 42 PSI front and rear, and just don't ride hard (shift by 4k) and the mileage will come.

D

I averaged about 39 mpg on my 1500 mile trip last week. Average slabbing speed was 70-75 steady. I don't think compared to some other "similar" displacement bikes that, that is good.

I'd like to of seen it in the nid 40's. Wardie???

:welcome: I do not want to start a debate about this(pros &:poke: cons?) since that is what usually happens! When I went to a power commander on my totally stock bike,with supplied stock map my mileage went through the roof. More importantly, the bike was much smoother with better throttle response. This was also done with the resistor mod(:tre:),a cheap version of another highly debated subject!:banghead: Anyway this was my personal exp. and I wish I had done it soon after purchasing my bike.Increased mileage will eventually pay for the PC and you get the added benifit of a smoother running bike. Also,If you ever upgrade the exhaust you will already have the PC to work with.This was my approach(reasoning) to getting the PC.
That is all!!!...::s

You guys.......

Buying a Busa and subsequently trying to get good MPG. That's like taming a.......well, something untameable. :rofl:

I've run through only 4 or 5 tanks of fuel on my bike since I got 'er, but riding slab back and forth to work, trip computer says 40.?mpg. once I start back roading though, can you ever change that number in a hurry. ( I am running a totally stock set up. Gearing, air filter, 87 octane, original plugs. 240lb rider)

Ride it easy, Get good fuel mileage. Twist the throttle and the mileage will drop. Leave it stock and decide wheather you want to have fun or just cruise around. some weeks I get 40 mpgs. and some I get 35.

I've gotten 47-48mpgs on a long cruise.

Full Hindle, stock gearing, PCIII with custom tune (173rwhp), BMC filter, air box mod, smog removed, NGK iridiums.

My mileage is drastically different depending on how I ride the Busa. If I hit the highway for an interstate trip, I'll easily get high 40's up to a max of about 47-48. However, if I commute to work for a week, I'll be in the low 30's range. That's a huge difference if you ask me. My previous bike was a DL650 V-Strom and it got 45-50 mpg no matter how hard I rode it regardless of the highway/city mix. By the way, my 2007 is bone stock with about 6,100 miles on it. I use my Trip A mileage religiously and reset it with every tank. My Trip B has just rolled along since Mile Number 1 and it showing a lifetime average of about 43 mpg.

I got 291 miles out of a tank once. Used to keep an eye on the MPG and keep it at 50.0. Shifting to 6th and keeping speed constant will help.

Sure, it's a busa, why worry about gas... well, when it becomes your only mode of transport and your income becomes scarce, it becomes understandable. Had to do it myself for a while some time ago and I look upon those days with appreciation with what I now have.

Oh I forgot. Sorry I also concur that the Power Commander running a stock map was a definite improvement in performance and mileage. Sorry I consider this a definite positive.

Busa's have a trip computer?

On a Scroll through ,I get dual Trip meters on mine ( U.S version. dunno if it makes a difference) First you get a reading of Bikes Mileage. Next is trip Meter A mileage, followed by MPG on trip A. ditto for trip B and then back to Bike overall Mileage.

On a Scroll through ,I get dual Trip meters on mine ( U.S version. dunno if it makes a difference) First you get a reading of Bikes Mileage. Next is trip Meter A mileage, followed by MPG on trip A. ditto for trip B and then back to Bike overall Mileage.

I live in the USA but have a Canadian import bike. It has two trip meters also. First is total kilos followed by kilos per liter. I gave up trying to correlate kilos per liter to MPG but dividing the gallons of gas at fill up into the total kilos and multiplying by
.62 usually gives me about 40 MPG. Sheesh ! The nice part of the Canadian speedometer is I have never gone 200 on a bike before :whistle:

My 'Busa gets better mileage than my Honda VTX cruiser of the same displacement, and it's waaay more fun, too!! :laugh:

CW

i never ran my tank all the way out but I remember i was getting 150-170 miles....then i put a huge turbo kit on it and even never hitting the boost just the added weight/tune/or combo of everything....it only goes 120 miles before the gas light comes on

I agree with w/ CWCOBRA, I also had a VTX 1300 and I get better mileage on my BUSA, then the VTX and I don't get harressed by my Harley buddies anymore either, and when I ride with them they have to gas up before I have too. :fight:

Back