Good Information here folks

Just an additional thought.  But there are some excellent books out there designed to help you improve your riding abilities and strategies.

First is Keith Code's Twist of the wrist 1&2.  While some of it is a bit basic there is invaluable handling tips to be had here.  Really worth every penny.

The second and lesser know author is David Hough, (Sounds like Ruff).  His books called Proficiant Motorcycling and More Proficiant motorcycling are in my view more useful for folks that spend most of their time on the road.  The First is much better than the second but both are worthwhile.  Well written and gives you a whole lot of techniques and ideas that may help you keep it all purty and upright.  I really recommend His first book.

Heres a link to a bunch of good Books...  <span style='color:blue'>Webbikeworldbooks</span>

Man! If only I could read!
wink.gif

Seroiusly, thanks. I might check out some of your suggestions.

Dude Rev, you need to move back to colorado where you might spend more time riding that bike than reading about how to ride it.
smile.gif

Dude Rev, you need to move back to colorado where you might spend more time riding that bike than reading about how to ride it.  
smile.gif
Yeah Yeah, Thunder, you keep talking...I let you know how the mid seventies and sun feel come February...Cool Bro?
wink.gif

Though I do miss all the Canyons...Man, I would kill for just one road down here like Boulder, Poudre, Big Thompson...Etc...
sigh.gif
Canyons.... Man I miss the corners... But I do like the largely clean roads we get down here and there are crap loads of bikes around....

Yeah Yeah, Thunder, you keep talking...I let you know how the mid seventies and sun feel come February...Cool Bro?
wink.gif
Yeah I know, it does suck to park the bike for a few months at a time. But I can usually get a few days a month of riding in. But not up in the canyons since there is usually a little snow and ice up there. Plus it's been between 95 and 100 for the past two weeks, so I doubt it's much cooler here.

smile.gif
The best learning is "Self Learning".  Just an opinion!
idea.gif
Heh, Uh yeah...

I know what your saying man, I really do. I feel the same way about a lot of my art work. Don't tell me how to use a particular medium, because then I will paint just like you do.
However, you are doing yourself a huge diservice in not reading, taking classes etc... Why not take a chance and learn from those who have the experiance and knowledge that you do not? I read a few books, and prolly 80% of it just goes right between the ears without taking a break, but the 20% that sticks is damn useful, things I hadn't thought of.

Consider books like these tips from your Grand dad who has ridden his whole life. Yeah everything may not apply to you, but you would be a fool to discount or ignore the information available.

Riding a motorcycle is not like driving a car, or riding a bicycle, skateboarding, etc... You make a mistake at the wrong time or react the wrong way to something on the road while riding and it could very well be your last mistake. There is a crap load more to riding than being able to pull a wheelie, pose for the hotties and get yourself down the road.

If sticking your nose in a book for 30 minutes can give you an extra set of tools to work with wouldn't you like to have them when things get FUBAR? I know I would, besides...how comfortable would you be if the surgeon putting your shoulder back together didn't have years of books and training behind him and instead mentioned that he was "Self Taught?"

If nothing else read them just for entertainment value, some of them are pretty interesting in their own right...and you might just learn something new...

I agree, Keith Code's books are pretty good. I read the second one and will most likely get the first one soon.

Hey, I am just a believer in taking advantage of others experiance. There is a lot of it here on the board, and books, riding schools are another excellent source.

I agree, Keith Code's books are pretty good.  I read the second one and will most likely get the first one soon.
I have that one too, its a book that makes you think and understand.

But i still cant figure out how to know when my tires are at 40%/60% weight distrabution  
confused.gif
, but i sure know when its at 0%/100%  
laugh.gif
Yeah or 100%/0%....
11doh.gif

The only thing about Codes Books that just PISS me off are all the freakin definitions of words all the little * everywhere so just in case you are a complete moron you can follow along...I just found the distracting at best, freakin annoying at worst. Not a big deal but still got under my skin about half way through...Good Information though.

just ordered them from Amazon.  thanks for the info Rev
Hell Yeah no sweat.

Odyssey, The whole weight distribution thing has me a little flumuxed. But re-reading a little today, and saw a blurb about poor cornering habits and came across one that stood out in my mind. Excessive braking, this is something I realized today I am guilty of. I tend to wait until late in the corner to brake deep and pick up my line from there. This would explain why the rear of my bike gets a bit lofty and well just plain old squirely. About an hour ago I had a graphic example, entering a 35mph corner braking from about 80 or so as I dropped a gear and let out the clutch the rear starts howlin and steps out towards the outside of the corner. What I used to think was just a sorta cool agressive braking habit, turns out to be poor corner reading, and steering habits. Seems I am compensating for fear of what is around the corner by late braking hard, then tipping it in. Carrying less speed through the corner but getting into the corner in a big hurry to make up for it. I thought I had this corneing thing worked out, hell it's been a dozen years allmost, now I have something more to work on. See if I cannot get a little smoother, faster, through the corners...It's little stuff like this that keeps me reading...

I think i'll buy keith code's book, it'll give me something to do on rainy days and during the downtime.

Back