Handling for a Newbie

MikesGSX1300RK9

Registered
I'm coming from the little bike world to the Busa... must say that my confidence is not quite there yet when it comes to hanging corners on the Busa. I have been taking things SLOWLY.

With the Ninja 250, I could lean hard and give her more throttle and tuck into corners pretty confidently. The Busa is so responsive that I'm not quite comfortable trying this approach yet. I am riding her like a grandma... no disrespect intended to grandmas out there.

Where's reality? Wish I could find a place that is safe for spirited practice riding... One concern in my daily commuting is gravel... hence why I'm reluctant to try some faster approaches/entrances to turns on public roads. Cagers tend to follow too closely to stop if I went down in front of them in a corner. Idiots. Of course, they follow too closely all the time anyway (glad I have the Busa now and can quickly dispatch them when they get too close).

Thanks,

Mike

If you havent taken Motorcycle Safety Foundation Courses take them then do track days and such. That will give you basic confidence but you just need to learn your bike and you will with time

Practice practice practice. Trackdays are good too, but getting out and riding is best, real world, real scenario, and on a BUSA its much different. Remember, on a public road, there is no throphy or glory, Learn the ups and down of the Bus then progress...

Just picked up my Hayabusa on 6-30-10 and i know what you mean about building confidence.. I had a cruiser many years ago and rode my parents Harleys on and off and this is a totally different feel. I'm trying to practice daily and just ride but the weather here in South FL has been crappy.. Each time i ride i get a little more confident on the bike and this bike will lean without even trying.. :thumbsup:

keep on riding at your own pace, you got nothing to prove to anyone weather your on a busa or your 250 kwack .
in time you will tame this monster to do exactly as its told .after all your in charge of it

take some motorcycle courses, proceed to trackdays if that is not possible ride at a comfortable pace,never push things beyond comfort, with time youll only get faster, leaning this big bike over is a beautiful feeling.

oops, welcome to the org

I'm coming from the little bike world to the Busa... must say that my confidence is not quite there yet when it comes to hanging corners on the Busa. I have been taking things SLOWLY.

With the Ninja 250, I could lean hard and give her more throttle and tuck into corners pretty confidently. The Busa is so responsive that I'm not quite comfortable trying this approach yet. I am riding her like a grandma... no disrespect intended to grandmas out there.

I have to admit that you're not the only one bro... I'm learning her day by day.. told my friend, I have the nuts to ride her... and I'ld like to keep it that way... But I have to admit, I love how she feels as I'm learning to get her deeper in that pocket on curves. I think it's unaturally natrual how she just leans over and rolls though it. But I only do this on a street that I have full visibility to and know what's going on.

I'm going to find a track to put her on.

Thank for all your replies, y'all. One question I have is how to deal with chicken strips... The driveway into my apartment complex is long (quarter mile or so) and winds around to the right and left (lots of 'S' turns). I broke the rear tire loose a couple weekends ago without even applying throttle while coming around the turn. Long enough to realize that I was probably going to fall, but by some miracle the bike remained upright. Not really leaning hard.

How do you get from that point (losing grip on curves even before the footpegs are making contact) to being able to lean her over?

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike, dont worry about chicken strips at this point. Just learn to ride the bike and be safe. Anyone that seriously messes with you about chicken strips you need to avoid anyway. Those will go away with time as you become more comfortable with the bike and lean angles.

Thanks, twotonevert. I guess the real question I'm asking is, at what point is this thing gonna slip out from under me? A couple weeks ago, I felt the slip and managed to not panic and remained upright. Seems like you gotta get rid of the new spots on the tire somehow... I'm just afraid that thing's gonna slip out from under me.

Never had this issue with the little Ninja--I can turn it and burn it all day without the rear end walking (assuming pavement is good). Just not feeling so gutsy with the Busa.

How old are the tires? If new, then yes, they will be a bit slippery. I try to get at least a 100 miles on a new set of tires before doing any kind of serious leaning. If you are that concerned, get you some sand paper and lightly take the shiny off the tire. Its a chemical they put on there to keep it from sticking to the mold. There is so much torque in these bikes, it does not take much to spin the back tire.

Seems like you gotta get rid of the new spots on the tire somehow...

BurnOut.jpg

If you havent taken Motorcycle Safety Foundation Courses take them then do track days and such. That will give you basic confidence but you just need to learn your bike and you will with time

the sport bike course that they offer will teach you a lot, but as they always say practice makes perfect and never ride beyond your skills

Thanks... the tires had about 200 miles on them when they slipped... Have about 310 now. Brand new bike.

Have plenty of sandpaper... Can go hit the tires up a bit tonight.

Back