Hayabusa Problems?

OB_DEWEY4

Registered
I have a '00 red/gray on hold at a shop and will probably pick it up sometime this week. Just wondering what is the deal with the busa? Do all bikes have these kinds of problems here and there? Does the R1 or the GSXR-750 have problems on the same degree as the busa? I've always ridden my friends bikes and not actually owned one so I haven't had the responsibility of maintenance. I KNOW, DON'T OWN A BUSA AS A FIRST BIKE! But, I've had plenty of time on a FZR750R, which was a pretty bad a$$ bike back in the late 80's, a 96 CBR600, and a 00 GSXR600. All of which I rode for a few weeks and left the bike wanting more. But, anyways I didn't know if these kind of problems exist on other bikes and I just don't hear about them because I'm not part of an owner's board for those bikes. Any input would be appreciated, so I can really know what I'm getting into here before I pick it up.

Come on guys, help me out! I could be giving the okay for them to prep the bike as early as tomorrow afternoon. Please help!

Don't worry this bike is a good bike.We the owners of the first Hayabusa 1999 have found the real world problems which are few, chain tensioner noise, Kick stand auto retrack, clutch noise and that's about it. We have to realize that we find the problem they fix it under warranty. And tell me you went 160 + mph on your older bike.We are the real world testers and fixers. Ride safe

Dewey,
I have 5400 miles on my double naught red/gry.No probs.Bikes are high maintenance items,it's part of the fun.If you are worried about problems,I would suggest an extended warranty.It could help ease your mind and isn't too expensive considering what could be.I would suggest one from GECC.JohnnyCheese likes them because they actually pay their bill,and I work for the company that owns them(GE),so I'm partial too.It will cost around $400.00 and Suzuki will honor it no prob.
Good Luck
B21 :)

I hope you don't mind JC.I know that you reccommend them alot.If they start messin'with you guys post it.
B21

99 Black/Gray. Bought May 1999. 4500 miles to date. No problems. Chain tensioner and fuel filter warranty work done free by Suzuki. I recently replaced the automatic chain tensioner with a manual. Auto tensioner was working fine but I did not get extended warranty so any tensioner failure would cost me big bucks. Few mods. GenMar bar risers,lockhard phillips race pegs,BMC air filter, kevlar lines and better brake pads. Last year I did a track day with the bike stone stock and had a blast. This is a bike that more than lives up to the hype and I have zero plans to sell mine in the forseeable future.

From what I can tell, the only real problems are coming from people who have tried to modify the bike. My guess is they did something wrong and had to fix it. I have had NO problems as of yet. I figure as long as the bike can out perform me, why modify?

I've had silly little problems (9100 Miles) but my previous R1 was perfect despite being neglected, thrashed, and ridden through floods! in 16,000 Miles it didn't miss a beat - not a single fault of any kind.

If your worried about reliability you could get a Blackbird, but you are not going to have as much fun as you would on a Busa, but the Blackbird would be a good bike too. Just like the others said when your pumping out this kind of H.P. and torque out of 1300cc your going to have some upkeep to contend with.

The fact that every little problem is discussed to death here by a lot of voices tends to make one think the bike is unreliable. Quite the contrary is true. It's a highly reliable bike made better by the voices.

All things mechanical have possible weaknesses. We know about ours because there are 500 people out there pushing the bike's envelope. I believe that it is better to know about weaknesses than to be ignorant like Blackbird riders, who have no idea what to watch for. Besides once a weakness is found you have multiple skilled minds finding solutions.

You have the greatest bike on the planet almost in your grasp. Go for it.

BTW Perhaps you were unaware, RED is the fastest color.

HAYAWOODY!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I picked it up last night at about 6:30. Whatcha gotta say now! Just kidding. You know what, I probably won't be talking as much anymore, too much to do. Like ridin' my 'busa, and ridin' my busa, and oh yeah almost forgot, RIDIN' MY BUSA!!! This thing is awesome, how the hell do you ride this thing to full capabilities without being on a track? It seems as soon as I get on it, BAM there's a car and I'm all up on its a$$! I've made the right choice.

No Way! I KNOW this thing will out perform me any day, any time. I'm taking it easy and learning the bike. No need to try to pull any wheelies or burnouts or any other kind of dumb sh_t, I'm happy with the way it performs just within the breakin requirements. All I've ever riden has been 600's so this is a huge jump. I'm keeping it within the 5500 rpm limit and my little brother is having a hard time keeping up on his GSXR-600 running it full out! Don't worry I have plenty of common sense and great respect for what this machine can do. WOW!!!!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions. I know some of them have been probably pretty simple questions and am sorry if I bored anyone with them. Just wanted to have a clue about the bike so the salesman couldn't bull sh_t me and so I would know what I was getting into. It helped alot with my decisions on the bike. I don't care what minute problems this bike may possibly have, I'm willing to work through them to be able to ride this thing. Thanks.

1999 Copper, 12,500 miles:

still has stock OEM chain & sprockets;

My only complaint is tires, the rear last about 2,000 miles;

I had a klunk, Suzuki replaced the damper, no klunk;

had a low speed stumble, the dealer reset my PC-2 AND IT IS FINE, NO CHARGE!

ONLY MODS:

Akropovic, PC-2, K & N prototype filter, Zero Gravity D-B, clutch mod, steel lines, EBC-HH PADS;

Back