i\'m in the middle of doing the clutch mod, someone please help!

a couple questions, that big nut that must come off to get the two cams off has been punched and dented in a bit(by suzuki) how do i get around this? and what does this big nut come off with? i don't think i have any sockets large enough todo it. is this the right way of taking this off? what do the six gold bolts that hold the springs in get torqued to when this is done? and what is the torque for that big nut? should i just get my dealer to take this off or will they even do it because of warrenty issue's?

maniac

what gear should the bike be in while taking this stuff off? has anyone else came across this dent that's been punched in? any suggestion or details of how to get this sh!t off would be great!

thanks maniac

I know you use a socket to take the big bolt off, I believe it is a 30 mm socket. Brock davidson did my mod for me.......he reads these threads so hopefully he will comment.

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 27 March 2000).]

Had trouble with that nut as well. My solution was an electric impact wrench. had that sucker off in 5 seconds, then just re-dented the nut when I put it back on.

how did you get around that dent, will it damage the shaft if i try taking it off?
Fvck this sucks when your in the middle of doing something and you find you don't have the right tools and in my case don't know what the fvck your doing!!!! well that's whats great about these boards.

maniac

You can zap off the large nut with an air/electric impact. The punched part will not damage input shaft(too soft). The torque on this I believe was 65-68ft/lbs. Brocks mod comes with VERY detailed intsructions. Did you get them?? If not have someone fax them to you, mine are @ the shop or I would.

Dave

Take out the dent/punch with whatever means at your disposal (starting with a small flat blade screwdriver worked in my case, when there's more room after some prodding, you can use maybe a punch and hammer to bend it outwards enough) and don't bother doing it exactly all the way either as it will do the last bit without damage when you try to loosen that big mutha***** of a nut after that by itself.
Don't remember the size of that nut anymore but could well be 30 metric.
If you'll have to do without the clutch sleeve hub holder, just put bike in 6th gear and push down hard on the rear brake pedal while trying to loosen that big nut.
The clutch spring support bolts are listed for 16.5 lb-ft in OEM manual and 17.5 according to Brock's instructions (who BTW calls these retainer studs).
The big nut should receive 68.5 lb-ft according to Suzuki (my Brock's instructions still had the faulty 108.5 lb-ft listed) and afterwards you'll have to center-punch that thing again in another place to lock it in place.
Oh BTW the washer underneath that big nut should have its convex side facing outwards, in other words, the inside diameter sticks out more, outwards, to the right than its outside diameter (just remembered you didn't have manual and maybe might not notice this when taking everything apart).
One last but not least thing, just to be sure you'll absolutely love your clutch later on, please take out all clutch plates and soak them in clean engine oil for a night before bolting everything up again. One member of this board found his stock clutch to be normal and to his liking again after doing just that and no other mods and this surely won't hurt at all!

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 28 March 2000).]

Back