idle RPM at 2500

im2fast4uguys

Registered
I just got home from a ride (a fast one) and the idle which has ticked nicely at 1200-1250rpm for over 4000 miles suddenly rose to 2500rpm...and doesn't come down.
I'm thinking stuck throttle cable or linkage and will be looking into it some time this week...but I'm wondering if this is a known problem that has a remedy?.
Any ideas guys?

I've never had that problem, mine the idle always has gone down. That stupid adjustment screw keeps backing out. I would definitley look at the throttle cable system.

Good Luck...
Jay

Sorry gotta ask...is your fast idle lever turned off?
rock.gif

I've had to adjust mine in the past but up not down could be the cable...I've noticed that after towing mine the assembly on that (throttle) side actually slides to the left...
evil.gif

Did alsoyou check your choke (fast idle) to make sure that is closed (off).

To fix the idle problem just adjust and use a drop of lock tight to hold it in place. This will prevent it from backing off due to bike vibrations. My .02
smile.gif

It was the throttle adjustment...I've had it come loose before...but tighten up WTF?....gremlins I guess...
smile.gif

Thanks for the input guys..

I was having a problem like this but it was going down in rpm....I wonder how the heck it went up....I thought you had to tighten the adjustment screw to increase idle....can't imagine the screw vibrating tight....Check the throttle cable and choke...make sure they are working okay....you may have just adjusted the idle screw to compensate for another problem....

My adjustment screw was getting loose...I set the idle and used this stuff called torque seal....it is like a paint/paste that goes over the screw....it holds it in place but if it does loosen the seal will crack and show what happened....they also call it anti-sabatoge seal...

it is either the throttle cable adjustment or a vaccume leak. check the cables & the vaccume hoses on the throttle bodies

Back