Idle suddenly rose. What could it be?

crepitus

Registered
So on my way to work this morning going into a turn my bike suddenly felt different. There was less engine braking. I pull in the clutch and see that my idle is over 2k. I dont use the high idle starting lever but checked it anyway. Wasnt on. Wiggled the throttle cables. No change. Any ideas? Throttle is still smooth. No hang ups.

Is it lowered? My advanced idle engages when I turn the bars.

no but i do have riders similar to reapers. it doesnt seem to be interfering though. since the FI light is not on can I assume its a mechanical issue rather then something with the FI? I guess I wound know until I take off the fairings.

Do you have any kind of riser on the bars?

With you sitting on it with the bike upright and engine running at idle, turn the handlebars from full lock on one side to full lock on the other. Does the idle change? This would indicate a cable too tight or a cable starting to bind.

You might also try lubing the cable.

Mine has done that a couple of times. Does it go away after you shut the bike off and restart?

Do you have any kind of riser on the bars?

With you sitting on it with the bike upright and engine running at idle, turn the handlebars from full lock on one side to full lock on the other. Does the idle change? This would indicate a cable too tight or a cable starting to bind.

You might also try lubing the cable.

Have you had the air box or filter off any time recently~?~

Reason I ask...a shop dropped a bolt on a bike I used to have, got it out but it had bent a butterfly. Bike idled real funny, but then opened wide up a couple days later on the interstate. Bike wanted to go about 90. Had wife on back...shut bike down using kill switch and started back up. Wound out immediately. Did this 3 times. Drifted off ramp and slowed down. Fired back up again, opening throttle WOT and then whatever was stuck freed up. Had to order a new butterfly valve.

Something odd that happened, but you never know what needs to be checked.

looked at it break time and it seems that the high idle cable is bind open. i cant get it to release. Can i get to it by lifting the tanks? I if so I can try to fix it lunchtime if not I will have to wait till I get home to take off the fairings.

You can try, but they are kinda tucked under the airbox. taking farings off won't help, but takeing the airbox off will give use a lot of room.

Did you do the mods required for adding the risers. Your fast idle cable is being operated IMHO.

If you have bar risers or Helibars on, it would be a good idea to reroute the fast idle cable.

Disconnect it at the left handgrip and remove the cable from the cable clamp on the right-hand side of the steering head (it's held there with the two throttle cables).

Unscrew the two bolts at the front of the tank, lift the tank up, and feed the cable between the two bolts and around / in back of the left side of the steering head.

Bolt the tank back down, making sure you aren't pinching the cable between the bolts.

Reconnect the cable.

Good one IG. She does always want to go fast. I lifted the tank during lunch and had easy access to the cables and butterflies. It seems that there was grease on the tip of the idle screw and a piece of junk stuck to it holding the throttle open. I wouldnt have believed it if I didnt see it. Wiped it off and idle back to normal.

Ajay thanks for the tip. I have to re route that cable. Been meaning to do it for the last year. Just been lazy. Now that I see how easy it is I will do it this weekend.

Back